2 Stroke 1988 Honda Cr250r

I have not the funds for someone else to pump my boinger.... repair I mean. Plus, I like to fidget and learn! Just like the power valves. Had no clue at first, now they work! It'll all come together. It's already come a good ways since I started.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That's the answer I like to hear, experience is priceless in my book....no amount of money can buy you that.

I buy service manuals and the tools then make sure I'm not guessing. I'm currently guessing and possibly right by saying the screw only holds the knob on and and the knob adjusts the rebound. I would also find the parts fiche to confirm this

I buy service manuals and the tools then make sure I'm not guessing. I'm currently guessing and possibly right by saying the screw only holds the knob on and and the knob adjusts the rebound. I would also find the parts fiche to confirm this

It shows that to be correct. Can't find oem manual, but I have a clymer

Theory correct. Here is the screw, out!
350ea28eca7d00bb0de9a4b2452bbc49.jpg

Still not much power. I guess it's top end time, and compression test must have been successful at 120psi. To be expected I suppose at its age. Hope I don't need a sleeve!

Last edited:
A new sleeve looks to be cheaper. $120 vs $175. LA Sleeve

If it came stock with plated I'd go back with that, the biggest problem I have with sleeves is they don't disapate Heat like a plated cylinder does, this can cause the engine to be more prone to overheating or at least running hotter and pre detination, that being said, If you don't do a lot of slow speed woods or technical stuff and ride in more wide open places this may not matter much.

Last edited:
And I think my powervalves are sticking? Or they still aren't set right. They move free sometimes and when the right rpm comes, they won't open. Wtf? Anyone know how to actually set up the hpp governor? There is no comprehensive literature on this anywhere that I can find. My clymer manual is awfully vague on it. And the oem manual is over $100. Any help would be amazing. I just don't know how it should look and feel exactly for sure

Hey, anyone know if the crank seals on these engines are especially difficult? Biggest worry is getting timing off. And also want to make sure they SEAL

I'm going for it, pulled head off and cylinder looks "ok" I guess. Need to measure and really look at it. Lots of carbon in exhaust port and top of piston. I'm hoping it's never been bored!!!! Forks are about to be rebuilt, I'll do that soon enough. Then I'm going to order the crank seals and do them. I'm not splitting the case to do so.