Other 1987 xl250R

SRAD97750

Staff member
...Sounds like the carburetor needs cleaning, float set, idle mixture set, and verify stock jetting in the idle, needle, needle jet, and main.
-BIG DAN:thumb:
Did you set the float per the manual? This setting can change pretty often on it's own (gravity), especially during maintenance. MX racers set it EVERY race. It completely changes how the jets interact with the fuel in the bowl. Can really get weird with 2 carbs.

How many turns did you end up on the idle mixture screw to get it idling right? It controls how the bike responds off-idle and returning to idle.

Did you set the float per the manual? This setting can change pretty often on it's own (gravity), especially during maintenance. MX racers set it EVERY race. It completely changes how the jets interact with the fuel in the bowl. Can really get weird with 2 carbs.

How many turns did you end up on the idle mixture screw to get it idling right? It controls how the bike responds off-idle and returning to idle.
The floats are something I wanted to check but I don't have a manual. Im having a hard time finding information on this bike. But the mixture screw has a tab built into it so it can only turn about a half a turn. It can't be unscrewed. I thought about cutting the tab off to so I can actually adjust it but not sure if I should or not

Try the fuel line level .. add fuel line to bowl drain , run up along side of carb to see level ....chech out UTUBE
Go ahead with getting rid of the stop .. remove screw and blow out with carb cleaner and compressed air , then adjust .......

Last edited:
I'm at a loss. Been through the carbs 3 times now with no change. They're clean and everything is set within spec as far as what I can find online. What gets me is that before I tore it apart and put it back together it ran perfect

Persistance pays off ,
I'm fighting TTR 110 2 bikes same thing . Get some Berryman 1 gal. Dip . 24 hr soak ...Hi pressure air , spray can gumout . Hang in there ...

That's probably what I'll end up doing. I road it a while with some Berryman in the tank then drain the rest of the tank and bowl, put fresh gas in and rode a while longer to see if it might clear up but not yet

NOTHING , you put in tank will clean it out ..it has to be removed , dissassembled , and immersed in cleaning solution , jets cleaned out with fine wire , high pressure air , and spray cleaner .. There are NO miracle products ....

Gotcha. I just hope that's the problem and not something else. I assume it is at this point since I have checked timing, checked for vacuum leaks, valve clearance is good.... I'll get the gallon of Berryman and try that next probably sometime this week

SRAD97750

Staff member
...the mixture screw has a tab built into it so it can only turn about a half a turn. It can't be unscrewed. I thought about cutting the tab off to so I can actually adjust it but not sure if I should or not
... If I throttle it from idle it will die unless I let off or throttle slowly.
Has this screw been removed and the tab removed?
The idle mixture screw uses a conical tip in an orifice to meter fuel in the idle circuit to give you fine adjustment off-throttle and return to throttle fuel control. It cannot be cleaned without removal.
Just went through the carbs. They were dirty with what looked like very fine rust particles.
This will be in every orifice and certainly causing the issues you describe if the carburetor hasn't been cleaned effectively in the idle mixture circuit.

Yes I did remove the screw the last time I cleaned them out. I'm actually going to be pulling them off again today. Have you ever tried the boiling method for the carb bodies and jets?

I went ahead and tried that before berryman since it's free and I've heard of that a lot over the years but still no luck. Still want to try the Berryman soon. I might let it sit a few days if it doesn't hurt to leave them in it that long

Actually there is a change. When I put them carbs back on today and rode it around a while it hadn't changed at all. I just got back on it and it's still doing it but it's also spouting and sputtering at full throttle while moving now and doesn't want to pick up speed