1974 Suzuki TC125 Coil...is it 6v or 12v

Hey all. Im still working on getting spark to my 74 tc. It needs a coil. Is the coil 12v or 6v?
If it is 12v, can i use a universal 12v coil? Trying to get the bike going for springtime.
thanx

If that is a points rig a 12 volt will do ok. Rob about any old epoxy Honda coil. Did the cap check out ok?
lmao no idea what that means. I can get a brand new universal 12v coil for $25 off bikebandit.com. I dont even know what a cap is. The dirtbike ran before i got it last year. i left it out all year in the rain and snow, the plug wire got ripped out of the coil. part of it is still stuck in there. I figure if I get a new coil and wire it should run, since it ran before it sat for 10 months.
I dont now much at all about bikes. Never had one before. I have a hard time keeping the kids GIO 110cc atv's running properly.
I got this 74 tc125 for free, i bought a kickstart, brake handle and oil cap so far. Then realised it had no spark. Once it sparks, im sure it will go.
Random question,,,i noticed it is a 125cc, BUT the head and exhaust says suzuki 250...?? whats that mean? was it bored out for 250 heads?

lmao no idea what that means. I can get a brand new universal 12v coil for $25 off bikebandit.com. I dont even know what a cap is. The dirtbike ran before i got it last year. i left it out all year in the rain and snow, the plug wire got ripped out of the coil. part of it is still stuck in there. I figure if I get a new coil and wire it should run, since it ran before it sat for 10 months.
I dont now much at all about bikes. Never had one before. I have a hard time keeping the kids GIO 110cc atv's running properly.
I got this 74 tc125 for free, i bought a kickstart, brake handle and oil cap so far. Then realised it had no spark. Once it sparks, im sure it will go.
Random question,,,i noticed it is a 125cc, BUT the head and exhaust says suzuki 250...?? whats that mean? was it bored out for 250 heads?

The cap is on the end of the wire and connects to the spark plug. When I say a points rig, I am referring to the ignition. Does yours have ignition POINTS? What is it that makes you convinced that the coil is bad ?

I'd bet my bottom dollar that a TC125 is a 6 volt system. Most bikes of that type and vintage are 6 volt.

I'd also bet that it is a points style ignition. We are talking old school mechanical ignition. A good battery is required for the bike to run.

I lived through that. Honda with the selenium rectifier was the only one I recall that needed a battery. The likelihood of it being a points ignition is good, but about then Suzuki and Kawasaki were putting cdi ignitions in some models. The points systems are not fussy about coils like a cdi is. Voltage and resistance specs matters very little. If it is a points rig that won't spark, I would start by cleaning and setting the points. But as long as the magneto is functional I don't believe you will need a battery.

+1 on checking the points. If they are not flat and smooth file them down a bit. Trying to remember the old TC ignitions. I think that you are right and it is a magneto so no battery required for spark.

It's the first thing I think about when getting one out again. The good old days involved lots of cleaning points and setting them.

LMAO no idea what anyones talking about....
Thanx for the help anyways guys...
For Sale 1974 TC125 needs some work best offer lol.
Im gonna put it up for sale to someone who knows how to fix it.

it isnt too hard to find out any of that. a parts schematic will tip you off, and points are easily deat with and cheap. i was just trying to make sure that you knew the coil was bad before you bought it and needed to have something else anyway. try calling a suzuki shop and asking to buy some points for yours. they will tell you they have to order them or it doesnt take them. should be under the cover on the lowest point of the left side of the motor, 3-4 screws.

Yes. I would like to get another bike. Something that is already running and i dont have to mess with would be nice.
The only 2 bikes I have ever rode were a GIO 110cc Pit bike type of thing, and a 1999 Honda CR250.
The Gio was wimpy and gutless and small. The Honda 250 2stroke was way too fast for me, I dont ride much and only weight 150 pounds. The honda was a rocket I could barely keep the front end on the ground when i leaned right over the bars lol. I did get it pretty good into 4th gear before i thought i might die. It had a very bald rear tire on the 250, which was probably a good thing.
I dont know what kinda of bike to get. Id like a newer 4 stroke, but Im not really looking to spend a bunch of money.
Any recommendations on a good used bike?
It will be used on trail only. Sometimes pretty rough trail. I live in Northern Ontario, Canada.