14' Toy Hauler Power Needs?

The Honda EU 2000 is a good unit. I have one, it's quiet, and can generate power for alot of your needs. however, it won't have enough amps to start your Air conditioner. you would need two connected together to do that. a EU 3000 would be good. Heavier and louder though. calculate your amps your gonna use and see what you really need.

You say you got one battery. get a second one and hook it up in parallel. This will increase how long you have in reserve when the generator is off. Some places you go may have quiet hours, or generator hours. or you may have neighbor campers not wanting to hear a generator late at night. One battery may not last all night. and you don't want a battery to go less than 50% if you can help it. These deep cell batteries last longer if you don't drain all the way down. a heater fan can easily drain your battery on a cold night.

Another thing you can do to save amps id to replace your incandescent light bulbs with LED. a 2 amp incandescent bulb can be replaced by a .2 LEDs, giving off the same light. look around the web, and see the reviews and such for the correct bulbs. a bit more expensive, but you can find deals. well worth it on amp savings. you can run 10 leds on the same amperage as one incandescent. or one, 10 times longer.

To bump what Sarge said about the heater... we experienced that "once"... when the power is lost the warning stcreach comes on which makes your ears bleed... it is uncontrollable unless you unhook your battery all together which I had to do in the middle ofa winters night... burrrrrrrrrrr :shocked:

Honda 3000 quiet run is what you want. My business depended On Honda generators and by far the most reliable generator to date. My ES6500 must have a 100,000 hrs on it. 40-60 hours a week since 1998... Bought 4 batteries and a starter.

The Honda's are the best. Nothing wrong with the Yamaha's though.

If you can do it I'd test starting that 13.8k BTU A/C with a Honda 3000. It should do it, but the startup current of your A/C will be real close to what a 3000 inverter based generator can handle. That 2800 watt Yamaha might not quite do it.

Here is how the calculation goes. To start an A/C you generally need double the run current. That 13.8k BTU is under a 10 EER so call it 1400 if not 1500 watts. It's likely a bit more than that. Double it and you get 2800 to 3000.

Old school non inverter cheap and loud generators usually do a bit better at transient loads than expensive quiet inverter units.

As far as DC power goes, invest in a 200 or larger watt solar panel. I have a friend who put a 2kw inverter in his rig and only needs the genny for the AC.

Awesome score for only $4k.

One question. What is the empty weight?

I have been thru this too, I now have a 2000 Honda, it runs everything but the AC. A 3000 Honda did run my AC, but was too loud. I also have a 2800 built in, it is an older unit and runs everything but is not one with an idle down feature. The Honda 2000 does have the "ECO" setting which is an idle down feature. So for me I need one that is quiet, has idle down and runs everything except the AC and I have this now with my dual set-up.

The Honda's are the best. Nothing wrong with the Yamaha's though.

If you can do it I'd test starting that 13.8k BTU A/C with a Honda 3000. It should do it, but the startup current of your A/C will be real close to what a 3000 inverter based generator can handle. That 2800 watt Yamaha might not quite do it.

Here is how the calculation goes. To start an A/C you generally need double the run current. That 13.8k BTU is under a 10 EER so call it 1400 if not 1500 watts. It's likely a bit more than that. Double it and you get 2800 to 3000.

Old school non inverter cheap and loud generators usually do a bit better at transient loads than expensive quiet inverter units.

As far as DC power goes, invest in a 200 or larger watt solar panel. I have a friend who put a 2kw inverter in his rig and only needs the genny for the AC.

Awesome score for only $4k.

One question. What is the empty weight?

Thanks for the good info Carl! :thumb: I'm on fleabay bid for a lightly used 3000 right now. Hope to pull it for 1500.00 max, otherwise its 2X2000 that should be good for the AC unit. Thats the only reason for the geny, need to keep mom comfy wile I am out riding.

Dry weight is 3200.00 lbs has a 40 gallon F water tank, and B/G is 22 each. add about 3 to 4 bikes, gear and shit, I am still under max but close. Tacoma and my LC80 are rated for 7000.