125 vs. 250

I am 5'9", 200 lbs. should I get a 250 or stay with a 125

One of my boys is 3" shorter and. 70lbs lighter and he rides a 250. The other son is 1" taller and 50lbs lighter and he rides a 350.

What kind of riding do you do? Track, trails, desert, dunes, pavement?

How long have you been riding?

CR500 :thumb: really you should be on a 250 but that is my opinon. I am 5'10 195 and 250 suits me good. a 125 is a good bike but lacks on bottom end. You need that low end grunt if you are trail riding. Not that 125 won't work but just that a 250 would be less work and more manageable.

Both of my boys are a little shorter and 1/2 your weight soaking wet. They love the YZ250's they ride. They did hone the skill off smaller 4 strokes. You can do a 250 2T if your not a throttle jockey and have control.

Both of my boys are a little shorter and 1/2 your weight soaking wet. They love the YZ250's they ride. They did hone the skill off smaller 4 strokes. You can do a 250 2T if your not a throttle jockey and have control.

Some people are just big babies. They think they can't ride a bike with a bigger engine because it will be to much. If you're dumb enough to crack the throttle and run into a tree maybe you shouldn't be riding at all :lol:. I wouldn't think twice about climbing onto a 500 and taking it for a spin. If I got into a sports car with 1000hp do you think I'd floor it? :lol:

Some people are just big babies. They think they can't ride a bike with a bigger engine because it will be to much. If you're dumb enough to crack the throttle and run into a tree maybe you shouldn't be riding at all :lol:. I wouldn't think twice about climbing onto a 500 and taking it for a spin. If I got into a sports car with 1000hp do you think I'd floor it? :lol:

I sure the hell would!

I look at it this way. It appears that you already have a bike according to your avitar photo. Im going to assume that it is a 125. Your a little bit taller than I am and weigh about as much. I ride a 250 two stroke and love it. Ive ridden 125 two strokes and they are alot of fun but........... I really have to wring them out to get them to perform close to what my 250 will do.

So............... If you get yourself into a 250. Remember this. Just because you have all of that throttle to use doesnt mean you have to use all of it. If you have riding experience on a 125 it wont take long for you to adjust to the 250's power.

So its really up to you. What do you want?

James

Staff member
Some people are just big babies. They think they can't ride a bike with a bigger engine because it will be to much. If you're dumb enough to crack the throttle and run into a tree maybe you shouldn't be riding at all :lol:. I wouldn't think twice about climbing onto a 500 and taking it for a spin.

Just don't get whiskey throttle...

:thumb: Totally agree with this, except for the part about flooring your 1000hp sports car. Just got to do it at least once. :banana:

:thumb: Totally agree with this, except for the part about flooring your 1000hp sports car. Just got to do it at least once. :banana:

Well the point I was trying to make was you wouldn't get into a fast car floor it get scared keep it floored and run into something. YA KNOW?

Well the point I was trying to make was you wouldn't get into a fast car floor it get scared keep it floored and run into something. YA KNOW?
I know what you mean. I have gone through this for years telling people to get the bigger power as you don't need to turn the round thing all the way and you will grow into it.

I know what you mean. I have gone through this for years telling people to get the bigger power as you don't need to turn the round thing all the way and you will grow into it.

People underestimate themselves. A lot of people think oh I'm 5'8 that's kinda short I need a 125. HOMES, all big bikes are the same size with a bit of a weight difference between 125s/250s and 250f's/450f's. Once you're big enough for a 125 or 250f you're big enough for any other bike.