Other 01ish Starting issues... xr650r.

Wait, how were they twisted? Like two wires spiraled around each other, or just wadded-up?

Whatever the case, it sounds like your electrical connectors got water in them. I recommend repacking them with dielectric grease to help keep that and corrosion from happening.

I'd really like to know why bikes don't have sealed connectors like cars do.
It happened again on the way to work...... Damn water

Electrical issue is back... thinking bad cdi. This is not a water issue.

was riding to work, got about 5 miles, was cruising at 50% throttle or so (50mph) then lost power at high rpm. pulled to the shoulder, and nursed it to the exit. bike died below 25% throttle. Was working on it tonight, testing everything, cdi is inconsistent when warmed up.... hmmm... will be testing pulse generator and coil tomorrow.... CDI seems to be the culpret, makes sense too, for the random dieing, and backfires when it acts up.

SRAD97750

Staff member
A CDI is a solid state device. Not the culprit. I have never seen one intermittently function. It's either good or bad. There is NO in between.

You have a connection issue. Not sure which connection.... But it is certainly electronic...

Change the plug again.
Reseat the plug wire ends.
Check grounds
Check kill switch
Does it have a battery? Could be dead.
Stator may be on the way out and not able to maintain output great enough to run the ignition.

I had this issue on my streetbike. Exact same issues. We called it the 'ghost.'
It would be running fine and then make horrible burbls, then eventully die completely.
Then when I would be messing with it, it would backfire but never start.

Turned out the alternator was not maintaining the battery high enough to run ignition. It was the weirdest thing.

NEVER ASSUME IT'S A CDI!:prof:

A CDI is a solid state device. Not the culprit. I have never seen one intermittently function. It's either good or bad. There is NO in between.

You have a connection issue. Not sure which connection.... But it is certainly electronic...

Change the plug again.
Reseat the plug wire ends.
Check grounds
Check kill switch
Does it have a battery? Could be dead.
Stator may be on the way out and not able to maintain output great enough to run the ignition.

I had this issue on my streetbike. Exact same issues. We called it the 'ghost.'
It would be running fine and then make horrible burbls, then eventully die completely.
Then when I would be messing with it, it would backfire but never start.

Turned out the alternator was not maintaining the battery high enough to run ignition. It was the weirdest thing.

NEVER ASSUME IT'S A CDI!:prof:
I was waiting on you to chime in. I have gotten all kinds of replies on the cdi.
-The bike runs perfect right now
-checked plug, kill switch
-soaked all connections
-no battery for the bikes ac power
-plug wire ends Have been reseated.

I was waiting on you to chime in. I have gotten all kinds of replies on the cdi.
-The bike runs perfect right now
-checked plug, kill switch
-soaked all connections
-no battery for the bikes ac power
-plug wire ends Have been reseated.

Get a new loom :noidea:

If it were me I'd take it to the shop :bonk:

More tests to come
From Ricky Stator
Exciter, Black/Red to brown= 90 ohms
Pule Generator, Blue/Yellow to Green/White= about 250 ohms
Lighting coil, green to White/Yellow= 0-1 ohm

Another odd issue, as I revved the bike, the voltage coming off the regulator was at a normal~13 at idle, but as I reved it up to around 5k, the voltage dropped to ~10 volts...

I had a mojave that i rebuilt and it started right up for about a minute then died. I kicked that thing untill i was blue in the face every-other day because every once in a while it would start. Turned out to be the pickup coil. The problem is i bought a brand new stator, CDI, 2 coils, and a couple plugs before i found this out :picard:. I would try that before buying a CDI

well, she was running well, stgarting easy, took her 1/4 mile and it started acting up again. was like hitting a rev limiter at 1/3 throttle. Then it was impossible to start. Valves are in spec. I let it cool down... started 1st kick...