Other 01ish Starting issues... xr650r.

My xr650r had been running great, starting 1-2 kicks hot or cold, then, after a ride, i rinsed her off, then changed the tire, and noticed she was harder to start then usual, rode about a mile, then she wouldn't idle. I had to bump start it and keep the rpm's up. I made it home, where she wouldn't start at all, just a bit of sputtering, and back fire.

This is a low hour bike.

Oil is full and clean.
Just checked valves and they were perfect (.006 intake and .008 exhaust)
cleaned the carb entirely twice
fresh fuel
petcock on and working
kill switch not the issue
I got it started once, after i pulled the plug and put the wire on, seemed to run decently, then i tuned it off, and went to start i later and same old problems.

I will be checking the timing and the coils tonight. This is acting like an electrical issue if I ever saw one. Any pointer though?

She started 1st kick every time last ride too

There are 5 simple steps to get you back up and running.

1. Take pictures of the Honda
2. Place pictures of said Honda on a classifieds website such as ebay or craigslist
3. Collect money from person willing to buy Honda
4. Go to back to classifieds website such as ebay or craigslist
5. Locate and buy a Yamaha if available :smirk:

But in all seriousness check your ignition coil. I had a 125 do the same thing to me and it turned out the ignition coil was bad to the point it just sparked when it wanted to. Those xr650s are bullet proof for the most part, but all electrical is a bitch and fails eventually.

Yamahas have been the biggest PITA to work on in my experiance(04 and 06 yz250f, xt225's, )

I don't know what I did completely but...:thumb:
I even checked for a sheared flywheel key
It might be a coil going out.
the idle picks up as the bowl runs out of fuel.

I cleaned the pickup for the stator and untwisted the wire
unplugged the cdi
then replugged
same for spark plug boot

I cleaned the pickup for the stator and untwisted the wire

Wait, how were they twisted? Like two wires spiraled around each other, or just wadded-up?

Whatever the case, it sounds like your electrical connectors got water in them. I recommend repacking them with dielectric grease to help keep that and corrosion from happening.

I'd really like to know why bikes don't have sealed connectors like cars do.