007 The Extraction 06-05-2010

Two summers ago, 5 of us decided to head out on a ride. We found a canyon that looked fun. Little did we know it was going to be a nightmare. After the point of no return, we found ourselves lowering our bikes with buddy straps down some waterfalls. As the day got later and also hotter, we were running out of water. As we came up which seems a possible way out, we found a about 50 foot drop. Both sides of the canyon were soft, steep and full of Volkswagon size boulders. We cut our losses, buried the bikes with brush and hiked out the canyon banks. The fun wasnt over yet. After getting out of the infamous canyon, we still had a about 10 mile walk to the trucks. I was the only 1 with a phone, I called a buddy to come get us and bring water.
We got back to the trucks safely, but the worst was to look at my son. His bike was birthday gift from wife and myself. Not something I hope any father would have to go through.
Anyways, after some planning and a great bunch of guys, we came back 3 days later and was able to get the bikes out. You can read about the extraction on TT.com with pictures.
This was just a summary of what happened, if I went into depth, I would be here all night.

Two summers ago, 5 of us decided to head out on a ride. We found a canyon that looked fun. Little did we know it was going to be a nightmare. After the point of no return, we found ourselves lowering our bikes with buddy straps down some waterfalls. As the day got later and also hotter, we were running out of water. As we came up which seems a possible way out, we found a about 50 foot drop. Both sides of the canyon were soft, steep and full of Volkswagon size boulders. We cut our losses, buried the bikes with brush and hiked out the canyon banks. The fun wasnt over yet. After getting out of the infamous canyon, we still had a about 10 mile walk to the trucks. I was the only 1 with a phone, I called a buddy to come get us and bring water.
We got back to the trucks safely, but the worst was to look at my son. His bike was birthday gift from wife and myself. Not something I hope any father would have to go through.
Anyways, after some planning and a great bunch of guys, we came back 3 days later and was able to get the bikes out. You can read about the extraction on TT.com with pictures.
This was just a summary of what happened, if I went into depth, I would be here all night.

Wow you have a link? hey it was time with your son he will never forget:thumb:

I dont know how to post the link. But go to Thumpertalk.com, go to California section, search Extraction canyon what were they thinking and enjoy. And it was a time of his life he would rather forget. Kids! He doesnt share my enthusiasm about the rescue of the bikes. Though I would not repeat what we went through, its the adventure that gets my blood flowing.:thumb:

Ive been working on the bike all day. I got the motor out, cleaned the carb and tank. Straightened the rad, seat is till full of water like a sponge. Camera is open and drying.

Every part so far has been full of water. I took the plug out, drained the oil out of all 3 holes, etc. Used the kickstart to turn the motor and water came out like a geyser and then the motor locked up. Took the top end off and the cyl is already rusted, the cam lobes have rust spots that you can feel with a finger nail, etc. Getting more expensive. Hoping the cyl will hone clean. Piston and rings look good. If not, the 300 top end is $600. Add the front n rear fenders and head lamp lens, gaskets, etc Im figuring a grand or so. Cant get the kick start lever off to get the right side case off. Its rusted on the shaft. Got to get gear box and crank out tomorrow. I already rinsed and wiped off the crank and rod bearing areas. Crank had rust on it too.

I am real sore. Left shoulder and ribs are messed up. Had to have someone come over and help pull the motor and break the motor mounts, swingarm bolt, head bolts, etc. I can hardly get up n down off the floor or out of a recliner. The rest of me is OK and just regular bumps n such. 2nd and 3rd days are usually the worst so Im not over it yet. Going to bed now. Will have to get up when wife goes to work so she can help me get up or I may be in bed all day.:wave:

Hope you're feeling better soon Mike. Getting old is a bitch, no?? :smirk::smirk: (Right there with you)

Kerosene. Fill the sucker up with it, and drain. Several times. Then run it with regular oil. Fire it up and immediately drain, and do it a few time. Riding it is the best thing it will get. Good luck.

It's a KTM, what can happen??? :lol::lol::lol:

b|p

No clue :noidea:! I may go back this next weekend and take weathergeek and irish hill up there :smirk:
Oh no you won't.:naughty::naughty: We will see you though. I value my bike too much. It will be interesting to see what the final damage tally is for Mike's wife's bike.

Incredible pics and story. Glad to hear you guys all made it out alive and with the bike too.:thumb::thumb:

Excellent Adventure. Sounds just like the ride WG and Irish Hill need :devil:. So note to self, grab life jacket out of boat before venturing out on a ride with these yahoos in the forest.:prof:

Glad you guy are alright. How did Rack Jr like is first outing on the Blue Scooter?

With friends like you, who needs enemies.:smirk::P
Excellent Adventure. Sounds just like the ride WG and Irish Hill need :devil:. So note to self, grab life jacket out of boat before venturing out on a ride with these yahoos in the forest.:prof:

Glad you guy are alright. How did Rack Jr like is first outing on the Blue Scooter?

He really likes the bike! He wishes he could have rode a little more instead of fishing :smirk:

Ah come on Rolls at least there aren't any huge hill climbs :smirk:. You and timo need to get up here for some summer riding in the hills :banana: Next weekend Weathergeek and Irish Hill are comming up. You should too! :smirk:

I would like to go up there some time. Really, I mean it. I'm not just saying it.:smirk:
The timing isn't right for this comming weekend though. Maybe later in the summer when the streams have slowed down some.:D