250 Yz250 gear box oil change

Nope it sure doesnt... i thought it just required bike oil....
You'll be fine as long as it was "bike oil". Anything with a wet mesh clutch approved rating will work. And even if its not approved the clutch will just be grabby. Also that HP1 oil palmer posted is THE BEST stuff imo. Next time you change your oil i would go with that.

I now only run the Honda HP Trans Oil. Because I ride a Honda and thats what the manufacture calls for. I also run the Honda HP 2 pre mix oil when I cannot get Klotz R50.

Nope it sure doesnt... i thought it just required bike oil....
Its a good idea to ensure that it is 2 stroke rated gear oil. Preferably in 80 or 85 weight. But dont go to the automotive section at Wal Mart and by 85 weight gear oi. Thats the wrong stuff. If you have a good bike shop close to where you live go to them and ask what you should be running. Make sure they get the info out of a manual unless your comfortable with their knowledge. Other wise you could use this web site. www.motosport.com I believe they are in either MS or MO. either way there shipping will be fast because your close to their locatoin.

Well, I'll be changing it ASAP because when I drop it in first gear, she dies.
That sounds like a grabbing clutch condition usally brought on by a notched basket or inner clutch hub, or both...it could be slightly warped dics between the clutch fibers as well not allowing enough clearance and causes a grabbing clutch condition like you discribe. First step is to try to adjust your cable. if you can't get the grabbing out of it without causing too much slipping then its time pop off the clutch cover and take a look at the basket. it a pretty simple job. :thumb:

:thumb: good deal. They will get you lined out with what you need. Like I mentioned before. There is nothing wrong with going with the Yamaha branded fluids. For the most part they dont cost as much as the aftermarket brands. But when you do replace the oil in your gear case. Do it twice. So warm up the motor ride the bike around if you can to heat up the oil in it. Drain it. Put in the correct oil. Repeat the warm up and ride process. Drain it. Then put the new oil in again. This will help prevent any contamination that could happen.

And you could do like Jackson said. But just having the right oil in there can make all the difference. If having the right oil doesnt help adjust the clutch cable. If that doesnt work then you will have to get into clutch itself.

SRAD97750

Staff member
WHOA WHOA WHOA WHOA........ Let's take a few steps back here...

FIRSTLY: you need to actually adjust your clutch properly.
Secondly: Make sure you adjusted your clutch properly. You think I'm kidding....
Thirdly: Oil is Oil... I run generic walmart ATF in ALL my 2Ts. Rotella is an awesome oil. Yamaha 2T oil is pretty cool stuff but crazy expensive. ALL of them perform great in a 2T transmission. PERIOD. Use what you want and what makes YOU comfortable.
Lastly: If you still experience slippage, I'd pull the plates and see if they are gone. If so get a new clutch pack. TUSK makes a quality product.
-BIG DAN:thumb:

is the 10w40 a automotive oil? If so it probably has a high amount of Moly which the clutch won't like.
But that would simply make it slip, it wouldn't cause it to die, I would do as Jackson409 suggested and inspect your clutch basket/hub for notching, if its not too bad you can file it down and re-use it :thumb:

is the 10w40 a automotive oil? If so it probably has a high amount of Moly which the clutch won't like.
But that would simply make it slip, it wouldn't cause it to die, I would do as Jackson409 suggested and inspect your clutch basket/hub for notching, if its not too bad you can file it down and re-use it :thumb:
It amsoil motorcycle oil, and if I give it a little gas when I drop it to first I can get the bike rolling, I really don't know what I'm doing, but I guess I'll check the clutch...

definatly sounds like the plates are simi engaged and when you rev the bike it will free them up. like I said adjust your clutch cable at the lever if you can get it to free up then inspect the clutch basket.