250 Yz250 gear box oil change

Hey guys, I'm new to two strokes (and dirtbikes) and I don't have a manual yet, I've already got the oil, can someone tell me how to change my oil? Also, what filter I need? It's an 03 YZ 250

No oil filter, warm up engine to get oil hot, turn off motor, place oil pan under bike, remove bolt from bottom of motor, remove oil filler cap and let drain. When drained, replace bolt (preferably adding a new copper washer), fill up trans (roughly .85 US QTs), put filler cap back on, start bike and check for leaks, Ride Hard :ride:

No oil filter, warm up engine to get oil hot, turn off motor, place oil pan under bike, remove bolt from bottom of motor, remove oil filler cap and let drain. When drained, replace bolt (preferably adding a new copper washer), fill up trans (roughly .85 US QTs), put filler cap back on, start bike and check for leaks, Ride Hard :ride:
Thanks man! I appreciate it!

This is not engine oil, and is only for your gears and clutch.

Is it not part of the engine assembly? Im just busting your chops. Technically Josmoloco is correct. The oil that goes into the gear case is not engine oil. Well let me cut to the chase. If you dont have a manual get one. Preferably an OEM service manual. Though Haynes and Chiltons are good also. But the OEM manual will tell you exactly what type, how much, etc etc etc. When it comes to gear oil I have found that what ever the manufacture says to use is whats best. Because your riding a 2 stroke Id say for starters run what the manufacture says for premix oil. AND RUN THE PRE MIX RATIO THAT THE MANUAL STATES (yes I used caps on purpose as that is important information and you shouldnt deviate from it till you know what your doing). Jet the carb to what the manufacture says its supposed to be jetted to for your elevation that you ride and the day time temps. Doing all the things I just mentioned will help the bike perform the way its supposed to. That and give you a better experience while riding your bike. Oh one more thing I forgot to mention but your manual should cover it. Run 91 octane fuel or higher. But you dont have to run race fuel unless the bikes engine has been modified and requires it. But untill you get a manual, and even if you do have a manual, it doesnt hurt to ask a question here. There is a wealth of knowledge to be found here.

Well, i changed the gear oil to 10w 40 amsoil, and the clutch slips worse than it did... :banghead: was i not supposed to use this oil?? or is it not oil related? it slipped a little bit with the old oil, but not too bad.

I use the Honda gear oil in all my 2T transmissions. I also run Yamalube 2Rwith 91 premium pump gas.

hon_06_hp_tra_oil.jpg
lub-2strk-2r-12-500.jpg