The what are you listening to thread

Is that Vinnie Paul on the left? From Pantera?
He is one of the best drummer's ever born.
It is, he has a DamagePlan patch on his vest.
That dude fucking rocks. Too bad about Dimebag, RIP.

One of my personal favorites as well, along with Tommy Lee, Eric Carr, Kieth moon and Neil Smith.

If we're going to talk about awesome drummers, Mike Portnoy of Dream Theater needs to be on that list as well. He's one of my all-time fav's.

Yeah portnoy and Peart are great drummers, but I was just listing my personal favorites, by the way portnoy was kicked out of dream theatre and now with the winery dogs.

Ps.....Mike, I forgot about Anton Fig he was great on Ace Frehley's solo album. And you better not have Carmen on that list without his brother Vinny, he wouldn't be very happy with you.

Last edited:
Portnoy was not exactly kicked out. He chose to try and expand on his talent and branch out a bit, (much like Petrucci did with his solo stuff), and just fell out. He always had the opportunity to stay. But he needed a break, as he was one of the main guys, the guy that held it all together offstage, much like he does onstage. I am sure they still have a good friendly relationship, even with the new guy.
Interesting that Lars Ulrich auditioned for them...
Peart is an obvious known great.
Interesting note about Carmine Appice - his old band King Kobra was fronted by the blonde guy singer (forget his name right now), but that guy is now a girl...
A predecessor to Bruce Gender.

Portnoy was not exactly kicked out. He chose to try and expand on his talent and branch out a bit, (much like Petrucci did with his solo stuff), and just fell out. He always had the opportunity to stay. But he needed a break, as he was one of the main guys, the guy that held it all together offstage, much like he does onstage. I am sure they still have a good friendly relationship, even with the new guy.
Interesting that Lars Ulrich auditioned for them...
Peart is an obvious known great.
Interesting note about Carmine Appice - his old band King Kobra was fronted by the blonde guy singer (forget his name right now), but that guy is now a girl...
A predecessor to Bruce Gender.

Yeah.....that guy/or whatever joked that if they reformed the band it should be named queen cobra. And I may be wrong but I thought portnoy left dream theater and had second thoughts some time later but was denied. As far as ulrich is concerned he could never pull off that gig with Dream theater, his reputation is better than his skills.

I think Portnoy just wanted to take a break for a few years, and who could blame him? Not only was he the backbone of the band as far as PR and marketing stuff, he had to pull off the perfect timing of how many 20 minute epic tunes?
I love his work and that band, but I could totally see where a guy would want to take an extended vacation after all he has done with them. Burnout happens.
He went and did a few gigs with Slipknot and some others. I bet that was fun for him and he thought "nah, I dont want to be the perfectionist drummer, agonizing over every beat, and get back into the DT grind just yet, I like this and it is fun again, lets just rock out..."

Yeah.....that guy/or whatever joked that if they reformed the band it should be named queen cobra. And I may be wrong but I thought portnoy left dream theater and had second thoughts some time later but was denied. As far as ulrich is concerned he could never pull off that gig with Dream theater, his reputation is better than his skills.

True dat. Buddy Rich used to parradiddle a single bass drum faster than lars could ever double and Buddy was 70.

Wow!
I have seen a ton of drum solos, but I dont think I've seen that, especially for a 70 year old guy.
Thanks for that M33.
We always see people duplicating guitar solos, (Eruption, etc) but when was the last time we saw a famous drummer try to duplicate a drum solo, especially one like this? I dont recall, but would be interested to see who could do it exact.