The Guns Thread

We used to take the deer rifles out and shoot crows and rabbits with them. About a half dozen hand loaded rounds before deer season. Of course a 30-40 or 06 loaded to 2100 isn't like an Ultramag. Nothing short of a big case weatherby is though.

Is there such a thing as "the backwoods of New York"?

i can hear it now........ just sittin eer makin shine n' spittin backer juice... upeer in a backwoods a New York...

I can't tell the difference in backwoods New England and backwoods south other than the accents and food.

Ok. To busting chops: Expert Marksman is an oxymoron if you are talking NRA and some other shooting organizations and their classifications. Marksman is the lowest recognized classification (it is an earned classification. You are simply unrated until you at least earn that classification). Expert follows Sharpshooter. After expert comes Master and then High Master if my memory serves me. So if you called someone an "expert marksman" and you were with a gregarious group of competitors they would simply welcome you to what must surely be new for you. It would be be different if you happened on some shooters with more snobbish attitudes.

Expert is the highest classification in the Military. I qualified expert in every category that had a ranking classification. I am Army Strong. Also pretty proud of that.

I can't tell the difference in backwoods New England and backwoods south other than the accents and food.

Ok. To busting chops: Expert Marksman is an oxymoron if you are talking NRA and some other shooting organizations and their classifications. Marksman is the lowest recognized classification (it is an earned classification. You are simply unrated until you at least earn that classification). Expert follows Sharpshooter. After expert comes Master and then High Master if my memory serves me. So if you called someone an "expert marksman" and you were with a gregarious group of competitors they would simply welcome you to what must surely be new for you. It would be be different if you happened on some shooters with more snobbish attitudes.

Expert is the highest classification in the Military. I qualified expert in every category that had a ranking classification. I am Army Strong. Also pretty proud of that.

The military was what I was infgerring... my brother too was in the US Army and was classified as an Expert Marksman... don't remember what he had to proove it, a pin or patch??? He wasn't the level of a sniper but he could shoot the balls of a gnat!!!

Just sayin!!!

NEXT.....

AF, do your certificates just have an inscription like "Army Expert" across the top, and a likeness of the weapon you qualified with? The only one I have held was my brother's and it was Army Sharpshooter and had an m-16 from the looks of it, some dates, his name and some signatures and ranks. the word marksman was not on it anywhere or the ones I have seen under glass unless it was for the certification of "Army Marksman"

Last edited:
Semantics, but I dont' ever recall seeing a military classification or a badge that said "expert marksman".

it was many moons ago when he showed it to me/us... I am sure it said Marksman... not positive about the Expert part... I could be wrong...

DEFINITION of the word EXPERT: pronounced "EX-Spert"... EX as in "Has been" and SPERT as in "drip under pressure". Not sure I would want to be labeled as that!!!

I never claim to be an expert... JUST for that reason alone!

AF, do your certificates just have an inscription like "Army Expert" across the top, and a likeness of the weapon you qualified with? The only one I have held was my brother's and it was Army Sharpshooter and had an m-16 from the looks of it, some dates, his name and some signatures and ranks. the word marksman was not on it anywhere or the ones I have seen under glass unless it was for the certification of "Army Marksman"
Yes, I had a badge for the rifle with the M-16 on it. I am trying to remember but, I believe I had certificates for the grenade hand toss and the grenade launcher M-203. I may have had a badge for the M-203. Not sure how or if I can obtain all my military records. All I have left is my Honorable Discharge.

Last edited:
Where I worked you were an expert if you were over 500 miles from home and had any kind of attaché case or case containing anything that the people you were going to see couldn't use. If it required an airplane ticket for your arrival you could add the word "respected" to the title.

I'm currently in the Army. For rifle qual, it's called Expert Rifle Marksmanship. It's not uncommon to say expert marksman here.

I shot Sharpshooter (35/40) and Expert is 36 and above. :pout: Although I will be Expert soon enough as it's required in my path.

The badges do not say anything on them, only a Rifle tab that hangs underneath it. Marksman has just a plain cross, sharpshooter has the cross with a bullseye, and the expert has all that with a wreath around it.