Suzuki build thread- project bike

Also before it stopped working it revved really high and when I let off the clutch it jumped and turned off. After that it wouldn't crank again.

when you say wouldn't "crank" I assume you mean "start" ???
a lot of bikes have the tendency to rev high right as they're running out of gas....(pull the fuel line and turn the gas on...does fuel come out of the line?) you cleaned the carb but did you check if the gas tank was clean? dirty tank = carb is probably dirty/plugged again....

Also the air box keeps disconnecting from the funnel that attaches it to the carb and I don't know what to do about that. It won't stay on for anything.

Is it coming off the carb itself? or is the air box and the "funnel" separating?

SRAD97750

Staff member
I cleaned it again and put it back on and got nothing again. Also before it stopped working it revved really high and when I let off the clutch it jumped and turned off. After that it wouldn't crank again.
I was going to wait until now to chime in...
I happen to be in the exact same position as you with a 1996 DS80.
I can get it to start on the choke and keep it alive at WOT but nothing in between.
I have cleaned the carburetor probably 20+ times, soaked it for 5+ days in 'Carb Dip.'
Replaced the jets and set the float 8 ways from sunday, including the correct way. :wink:

Nothing, It'll idle and run WOT but nothing in between.
Way too lean, always act like it's running out of gas, revving to the moon and dying regardless of throttle position.
I set up a bowl vent tube so I could see the fuel levels while it was running. Perfect.

Just won't run. Found some replacement carbs for $100 but they are probably removed for the same issue.
Frustrated... The Intake boot is too small for this 26mm 2T suzuki carb I found on ebay... Looking for a way to modify the intake tract to accomodate the larger 26mm carb.

I'll let you know if something gives... -BIG DAN:thumb:

I was going to wait until now to chime in...
I happen to be in the exact same position as you with a 1996 DS80.
I can get it to start on the choke and keep it alive at WOT but nothing in between.
I have cleaned the carburetor probably 20+ times, soaked it for 5+ days in 'Carb Dip.'
Replaced the jets and set the float 8 ways from sunday, including the correct way. :wink:

Nothing, It'll idle and run WOT but nothing in between.
Way too lean, always act like it's running out of gas, revving to the moon and dying regardless of throttle position.
I set up a bowl vent tube so I could see the fuel levels while it was running. Perfect.

Just won't run. Found some replacement carbs for $100 but they are probably removed for the same issue.
Frustrated... The Intake boot is too small for this 26mm 2T suzuki carb I found on ebay... Looking for a way to modify the intake tract to accomodate the larger 26mm carb.

I'll let you know if something gives... -BIG DAN:thumb:

I'm a car guy... not a "bike" guy, and i'm for sure not a carb guy :goofy: but sounds like you're sucking air somewhere but then again it will idle? hmm that's a odd one......

BTW...
you all feel free to chime in on my post too....(still looking for opinions on the last two replies from myself)

https://www.dirtbikeaddicts.com/con...od-after-1-4-to-1-3-throttle-carb-issue.8485/

when you say wouldn't "crank" I assume you mean "start" ???
a lot of bikes have the tendency to rev high right as they're running out of gas....(pull the fuel line and turn the gas on...does fuel come out of the line?) you cleaned the carb but did you check if the gas tank was clean? dirty tank = carb is probably dirty/plugged again....

Is it coming off the carb itself? or is the air box and the "funnel" separating?
The air box is disconnecting from the funnel. Also I cleaned the gas tank and carb again and I'm getting nothing. Checked the gas lines and checked the carb and everything is getting gas like it's supposed to. Just checked the spark plug and it's working perfect. I have no clue what else to do and want to know why it works perfect and all the sudden stops working.

Also the air box keeps disconnecting from the funnel that attaches it to the carb and I don't know what to do about that. It won't stay on for anything.

@SRAD97750 this goes for you too. This is a rare event.
Love speed, there should be hose clamps that wrap around the boots. Tighten those.
Danno and @Lovespeed 2 things. Check the oil induction unit. They some sometimes come loose or the paper gasket tears because of oil. Creating a lean condition. The other is that these come with metal reeds. The old steel reeds were great. The new ones break and bend. Unfortunately the jug needs to be pulled on these to check the reeds. At least they used to...

can you post pic's where the air box is disconnecting? (would need to see pic's to see what's going on) but as mihylo33 said there should be hose clamps holding them together....

The bike needs 4 things to run....compression, spark, gas and air....I wonder if that needle and seat is stuck closed?

Checked the gas lines and checked the carb and everything is getting gas like it's supposed to
how do you know the float bowl is filling with gas?

If you are 100% sure it's getting fuel into the float bowl and it has spark....did you ever check the compression? low compression will keep it from starting.....see if it will push start....push starting it will build up more compression than kick starting it ever will....

can you post pic's where the air box is disconnecting? (would need to see pic's to see what's going on) but as mihylo33 said there should be hose clamps holding them together....

The bike needs 4 things to run....compression, spark, gas and air....I wonder if that needle and seat is stuck closed?

how do you know the float bowl is filling with gas?

If you are 100% sure it's getting fuel into the float bowl and it has spark....did you ever check the compression? low compression will keep it from starting.....see if it will push start....push starting it will build up more compression than kick starting it ever will....
The carb is gettin fuel perfect everything on it is perfect I've went over it and cleaned it many times and still no crank. I fixed the air box so it's hooked up perfect. Everything is perfect but it won't start. I've wasted my entire Saturday working on this I have no idea what to do im extremely frustrated... Nothing works. This doesn't make sense...

The carb is gettin fuel perfect everything on it is perfect I've went over it and cleaned it many times and still no crank. I fixed the air box so it's hooked up perfect. Everything is perfect but it won't start. I've wasted my entire Saturday working on this I have no idea what to do im extremely frustrated... Nothing works. This doesn't make sense...

yeah, I hear ya....welcome to the world of bikes :ride: I've had days like that myself.....Maybe someone will chime in with some idea's.....

I would like to point out (in case you didn't know) just because you have fuel coming through the fuel line from the tank to the carb does not mean you're getting fuel....If that needle and seat is stuck closed the fuel stops there and the float bowl don't fill with gas...therefore no gas to the carb.....

Let's hope someone else will chime in with some idea's.....

Best of luck to you!!!

Last edited:
yeah, I hear ya....welcome to the world of bikes :ride: I've had days like that myself.....Maybe someone will chime in with some idea's.....

I would like to point out (in case you didn't know) just because you have fuel coming through the fuel line from the tank to the carb does not mean you're getting fuel....If that needle and seat is stuck closed the fuel stops there and the float bowl don't fill with gas...therefore no gas to the carb.....

Let's hope someone else will chime in with some idea's.....

Best of luck to you!!!
Yeah I already tested that out by unscrewing a screw in the bottom and gas came out so that means it's getting gas like it should. It just amazes me how I fixed all the issues on this bike and it ran fine and then overnight it does this and won't start up even though I've tried every possiblity I could think of or find online. I was really looking forward to wearing that bike out all day today lol but looks like it's not gonna happen. I wish I could just find the problem so I could fix it. :(

Haven't tried that yet. I'll see if it works but if it doesn't is there anything else I could try?

yes,.... look at the quote below.

@SRAD97750 this goes for you too. This is a rare event.
Love speed, there should be hose clamps that wrap around the boots. Tighten those.
Danno and @Lovespeed 2 things. Check the oil induction unit. They some sometimes come loose or the paper gasket tears because of oil. Creating a lean condition. The other is that these come with metal reeds. The old steel reeds were great. The new ones break and bend. Unfortunately the jug needs to be pulled on these to check the reeds. At least they used to...

I will add that a busted or bent reed will cause a no start/run situation.