Suzuki build thread- project bike

Here's a pic of the bike btw
If you bought that badboy for $80 you got a hella good deal!!! Never, and I mean this with all due respect, never trust the dude that told you to run 110 in that bike! Personally, I would make sure the graffix look sikk and then I would pull the carb and make sure it's breathing. Heck, if that thing never fires up again, for 80 dead Presidents - that is a flipping good deal! :cheers:

If you bought that badboy for $80 you got a hella good deal!!! Never, and I mean this with all due respect, never trust the dude that told you to run 110 in that bike! Personally, I would make sure the graffix look sikk and then I would pull the carb and make sure it's breathing. Heck, if that thing never fires up again, for 80 dead Presidents - that is a flipping good deal! :cheers:

Yeah it was just some guy at a parts store and I didn't think I should put that high of octane in it either (plus it was expensive as anything) so I'm pretty upset with that. Would it hurt it to run it with that fuel though? I'd really hate to waste it.

Would this work as a carb rebuild? It's the float and needle on that page: http://www.partsnmore.com/parts/suzuki/ds80/

I gave my local Suzuki dealer a call and They don't make a "carb rebuild kit" for that bike any longer (OEM or aftermarket) I'm a bit surprised they don't sell a kit for it (I can't even find one online)....

So I would do as a few others recommended first....give the carb a good cleaning and then clean it again just to make sure it's nice and clean....use carb cleaner with the little red tube the can comes with and also use a air compressor (if you have one) and make sure all passages are clean and not plugged up...

any parts you might find yourself needing for the carb will have to be bought separately....that is the correct needle and seat for your bike in the link (2nd item down on the page cost $8)...

BUT take it apart and clean it and inspect all the parts before you buy anything!!!
here is a pic of a good and bad needle.....

Capture.JPG

Great news! Spent the whole afternoon and part of the night working on the bike and fixed every problem I found on it all at once! I can't believe I did all this for $150. I pulled of the carb and wow... It was FILLED with so much gunk... No wonder it wouldn't run. I pulled the throttle cable out and it was actually stuck in really good because of all the crap inside so that was the cause of the throttle not moving. Fixed the first issue! Next was cleaning the rest of the carburetor. There were clumps of stuff in there. I cleaned every bit of it with carb cleaner and then put it back on, turned on the gas lines, and no more gas leaking out! Second issue fixed! Last was the big moment. I rolled the bike out of the garage with no body panels on and cranked it. I kicked over and over and got nothing. Then I remembered. I didn't have the clutch pressed in.... Lol so I pressed the clutch in and it cranked right away on the first kick! I cranked it a lot more to make sure and it cranked first kick every time! I rode it around a little bit and everything is working great. I can't wait to put all the panels back on and ride it all day tomorrow. Hard work pays off. Thanks for all your help everyone! This was the best $150 I ever spent! Also forgot to mention that I put a new air filter in and noticed that there wasn't even an air filter in it at all -.-

Bad news... Today I went out to put all the body panels on it so I could ride it and tried to crank it and it wouldn't. I tried about 5 times and it finally cranked. I then put all the body panels on and then cranked it on the first try. After that I went in to get a drink before my ride and came out and cranked it again to go riding. Didn't crank. I tried for an hour over and over to get it to crank but nothing was happening. I'm sweating right now and frustrated especially with how excited I was to ride and now this is happening... Why is it doing this? Please help ASAP!!!

Bad news... Today I went out to put all the body panels on it so I could ride it and tried to crank it and it wouldn't. I tried about 5 times and it finally cranked. I then put all the body panels on and then cranked it on the first try. After that I went in to get a drink before my ride and came out and cranked it again to go riding. Didn't crank. I tried for an hour over and over to get it to crank but nothing was happening. I'm sweating right now and frustrated especially with how excited I was to ride and now this is happening... Why is it doing this? Please help ASAP!!!

This is why I often say clean the carb twice and then one more time for good luck. Often enough one cleans the carb but misses a couple little bits. Clean the carb again and see what happens.

I cleaned it again and put it back on and got nothing again. Also before it stopped working it revved really high and when I let off the clutch it jumped and turned off. After that it wouldn't crank again.

Also the air box keeps disconnecting from the funnel that attaches it to the carb and I don't know what to do about that. It won't stay on for anything.