2003 RM 250 Jetting Questions

OK.

Got my carb sonic cleaned and got the shop to set the float height. Ran the same slide, needle position and jets as his carb and IT STILL RUNS AWFUL.

Still lots of smoke and no power, it is no better than before.

Going to buy used carb i am sick of this thing.

OK.

Got my carb sonic cleaned and got the shop to set the float height. Ran the same slide, needle position and jets as his carb and IT STILL RUNS AWFUL.

Still lots of smoke and no power, it is no better than before.

Going to buy used carb i am sick of this thing.

How did your buddies bike run with your carb in it?
Same slide? Same needle? Same jets?

I never ran my carb in his bike he was doing fork seals so his bike was apart.

When i used his carb on my bike i used the following and it ran perfect

MY:
#7 slide and JD Jet red needle at top clip
his:
float
50 pilot jet
168 main

When i put his jets in my carb with my slide and needle it was so boggy

The best i had it running in my carb was a
40 pilot
162 main
JD red needle at top clip

but i was getting no power at half throttle, moving the needle down made it worse

I honestly dont know where to go from here

When i used my buddies carb i put in my choke assembly as well as my tps.

I just don't see how our jetting could be that much different given they are practically the same bike, both with fresh top and bottom end.

When i used my buddies carb i put in my choke assembly as well as my tps.

I just don't see how our jetting could be that much different given they are practically the same bike, both with fresh top and bottom end.

Jetting can be different on the same exact bike on the same day with the same gas and the same oil. Just the nature of the beast.

Jetting can be different on the same exact bike on the same day with the same gas and the same oil. Just the nature of the beast.
But when i used his carb i used a 50 pilot and 168 main.

Tried swapping TPS and Powerjet solenoid from his carb and no better.

Ive used 40, 42, 45 and 50 pilot jets and still get so much bog at 1/4 throttle,

JD jet red needle at the top position with the same results,

main jets 160, 162, 165, 168 and 170

what else could possibly be wrong? Maybe a bad o-ring in the carb? should i try a rebuild kit?

But when i used his carb i used a 50 pilot and 168 main.

Tried swapping TPS and Powerjet solenoid from his carb and no better.

Ive used 40, 42, 45 and 50 pilot jets and still get so much bog at 1/4 throttle,

JD jet red needle at the top position with the same results,

main jets 160, 162, 165, 168 and 170

what else could possibly be wrong? Maybe a bad o-ring in the carb? should i try a rebuild kit?

Something is wrong somewhere. Maybe try a rebuild kit.

Looked through a carb diagram and it doesn't look like there are really any o-rings that would affect fueling at 1/4 throttle as far as i can tell.

I ordered a used carb off ebay, i just want to ride this thing and will look into the carb i currently have to determine the problem.

[QUOTEtheihylo33, post: 190978, member: 408"]My favorite all time oil was suzuki ccs bit they don't make it anymore. Same goes for Kawasaki premix oil though they still make it. The zooks love the basic oils at stock mixing ratios. Always follow the manufacturers specs. :thumb:[/QUOTE]
I ran the CCS at 20-1 for years . Replaced that with yamalube as well.

Last edited: