2 Stroke 1988 Honda Cr250r

wait until you reassemble the top end and hear a clanking as you kick. wonder ing why you don't have compression. (I wonder why I have an extra piston. as you stare at the work bench and continue to kick.)

Hahaha! That's great!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4e0ba2062a6f3195c7f8d9f5b6aa0645.jpg

Filthy
787f3974f83cf33a0fd816b8e73a58d5.jpg

I know lots of people who have two strokes that wont idle. I know some that say silly things like "A TWO STROKE ain't engineered to idle, so mine is doing what it is designed to do, ( I guess they think puking and dying is what theirs was designed to do)". one of the first things to crap can if you want a good clean idle is the pj carburetor that came on yours. (the one where the idle is set with the enrichening circuit.)

It doesn't idle right now. I've read a big debate on two strokes idling or not. I want mine to idle enough that it won't die in corners. I'm coming off of four strokes btw. Anyway I know I need a new choke for it. Anyone know how to remove it and install a new one? Apparently on the keihin pj? Carb, the choke is in part with the idle adjustment. However you want to word it.

Last edited:
was that an echo? while not really a choke, the enrichenor valve is easily replaced. that is the good news. the truth us that brand new the whole carburetor is BAD. save your money and buy a pwk.

Wasn't intended to be. The last few posts weren't on my Tapatalk. Weird. And pwk? Is it a direct swap? I'm assuming it's for the 92-01?

SRAD97750

Staff member
I have to recommend a good carburetor cleaning and setting the float per the OEM specs and trying again.

I have ditched 3 of the PJ carbs for this reason. I could get the bike to run all day, but wouldn't idle at all. Replaced 100% of the components in a PJ body and it did not fix the issue. Brass, Orings, Enrichment assembly...
Placed a used VM carburetor in it's place and the thing idled for 5 minutes, first try.
Return the PJ to the bike, Nothing. Will not idle on it's own.
Ended up buying a nice used VM38 and the bike ran perfect ever since. Direct swap typically.
-BIG DAN:thumb:

Wasn't intended to be. The last few posts weren't on my Tapatalk. Weird. And pwk? Is it a direct swap? I'm assuming it's for the 92-01?

The pj's just like yours came until the 97 came out. A 38 mm pwk off of a kawasaki or honda would work just fine. the needle that came stock in your rig as well as the other jets will work in the pwk depending on where you get it. I am not a big proponent of swapping carburetors, but with 5 gallon bucket once filled with pj's I can pretty well suggest that that one is ready for retirment. One of the few things honda did with the mid 80's mx bikes that DID NOT get copied by the rest. Setting your idle with what ends up being an air to fuel ratio change is probably one of the dumber ideas I have seen or heard of. What it boils down to is making sure that you will need to reset it almost by the minute as the air temp, altitude and engine temp change the fuel to air ratio requirements.

I'll address that soon enough! My biggest issue is suspension. I know the rear needs re spring and maybe fresh oil and charged. That's later. Now is fork time. I just want to change the fork oil. I know nothing about cartridge forks. Do I just Pull them out, remove cap, let drain, and add the proper weight and level of fork oil? Level check with spring out, fork compressed in mm from top? What weight and what level?

I have experience with damper rod forks. Cartridge s im clueless. I removed the fork oil drain bolts, pump the forks, and nothing came out. Wtf????