2 Stroke 1988 CR250R Wont start / Wet Plug

Ok thanks again! I will update as I go.

I did notice that the left side engine cover (clutch cable side) has a missing bolt as well as a loose bolt or two and seal is definitely breached. Just making sure this is not the cause of any of my issues? Is this bad? I have since ordered the missing oem bolt for the cover.

Why is my brain ringing "head gasket!"?

I don't know, why? Im open for any suggestions! I did drain and fill the cooling system with engine ice. After several unsuccessful (and painful) kick starts, I did notice coolant coming from up top somewhere, probably around radiator cap? It wasn't coming out of the overflow, I siliconed that tube in place and it has no obstructions. Also worth noting, bike has always been low on coolant ...

Any new ideas? :)

I don't know, why? Im open for any suggestions! I did drain and fill the cooling system with engine ice. After several unsuccessful (and painful) kick starts, I did notice coolant coming from up top somewhere, probably around radiator cap? It wasn't coming out of the overflow, I siliconed that tube in place and it has no obstructions. Also worth noting, bike has always been low on coolant ...

Any new ideas? :)

From the 1st page of this thread I've been thinking head gasket. All the symptoms are there. Hard to kick, wet plug and constant smoke when running.

What should I do, take off the head and examine the gasket? What do i look for? Guess I should probably drain the coolant? I have a whole engine gasket kit on it's way.

I took off the alternator cover which was loose and missing a bolt. There was a bit of dirt/sand in there so I cleaned everything out, blew it with compressed air, and put a touch of grease on the clutch cable end while I was in there. I looked at the timing marks and they line up. I also tried to wiggle the alternator around to check for play and there was just about none, it's tight. Just bolted it back up.

SRAD97750

Staff member
If you're going to change all the gaskets, I'd be sure to check the piston/cylinder clearance and the Piston Ring End Gap. -BIG DAN:thumb:

What should I do, take off the head and examine the gasket? What do i look for? Guess I should probably drain the coolant? I have a whole engine gasket kit on it's way..

radiator pressure test kit.... available for loan through most auto parts stores....

upload_2014-9-4_22-9-56.jpeg

If you're going to change all the gaskets, I'd be sure to check the piston/cylinder clearance and the Piston Ring End Gap. -BIG DAN:thumb:

Oh man that sounds complicated. What would I need, and can I do this with just the head off? Thanks!

radiator pressure test kit.... available for loan through most auto parts stores....

View attachment 23106

Should I get one of these or just remove the head? I did see where I can get a brand new left and right radiator on ebay for about $80 shipped. And a radiator hose kit for like 33 shipped in any color. So it doesn't seem worth it to me to put a lot of time in the radiator?

I reread the thread and it was suggested that I need a flywheel puller to install the new crank seal. Where can I get one, and how can I be sure what I get will fit this bike (1988 CR250R)? Thanks!

SRAD97750

Staff member
Oh man that sounds complicated. What would I need, and can I do this with just the head off? Thanks!
If you have all the gaskets, might as well check the status of the piston. It's VERY important to me to KNOW my engine is in good health with regular check-ups. Requires no special tools to pull the cylinder.
Where can I get one, and how can I be sure what I get will fit this bike (1988 CR250R)? Thanks!

http://www.bikebandit.com/oem-parts/1988-honda-cr250r/o/m9669#sch413675
This should cover just about anything that is available for your bike. This like has a side bar on the page and you can look up each part and see the drawings, cost and availability.

Paw Paw

I saw that, thanks though. I've found I like to use rockymountainatv.com instead, because they also give you the OEM part number whereas BB does not.

I just ordered a flywheel puller on ebay (the source of just about everything so far) for $12 shipped. I will just have to wait for it to arrive. I'm about at a standstill right now. Waiting on piston and dust seals for calipers as well as other misc parts to put the brakes back together. The 89 axel I bought is a hair long, need a couple washers. Lots of little parts on the way...

Gasket set should be here soon though, which means I can take off the tank, cylinder head etc. Inspect head gasket, as well as HPP powervalve system which has homemade gasket on it.

If you have all the gaskets, might as well check the status of the piston. It's VERY important to me to KNOW my engine is in good health with regular check-ups. Requires no special tools to pull the cylinder.

Thanks I will check things out. Though still not sure how to check piston/cylinder clearance or piston ring end gap, or status of piston. So I have to start researching that stuff.

I got a Clymer manual, which is good to have. Just have to watch out, for instance it just told me to tighten the coolant drain plug to 88ft/lbs.

Guys the gasket set came in! So Ive taken off the tank, drained the oil and coolant, and removed the HPP powervalve covers which had homemade gaskets. First thing I notice is a bit of coolant (highlighted in red)in there. This cant be normal can it? There is also a small amount of black oil in there (highlighted in yellow). What do you make of this?007.JPG