85 YZ85 Build

Hey guys, My son(10) bought himself a 03 yz 85 over the summer and we worked this project together. He bought it in pieces. He only paid $100 bucks for it. He is using all the money he saved up from cutting grass over the summer. He cuts three yards including mine.

bought bike $100
has the frame in powder coating $150
carb $60
cdi, coil $50

This is what it looked like the night we brought it home. He also got a new set of grips, forks seals, three extra set of bars, extra set of wheels, extra radiator, extra pipe, two extra sprockets and a extra seat with the purchase.
Clay's yz 002.jpgClay's yz 001.jpgClay's yz 004.jpgClay's yz 005.jpg
Clay's yz 003.jpg

He sent the frame off to get Powder coated
DSCF1408.JPG
DSCF1409.JPG
DSCF1410.JPG

The motor that came with the bike ended up being a 80cc motor and he had already bought a new hot rods crank kit for an 85cc so he bought a complete 05 with a blown topend for $400 and took everything off he wanted and I bought the 05 off him for the $150 he borrowed from me to get the bike. I got him a 80cc piston for Christmas and used the 80cc cylinder. We put it all together and here it is, this little thing screams:eek: His birthday is next month so I am sure he will buy some graphics with his B-day money
DSCF1017.jpg
DSCF1018.jpg

Now I bought a complete motor for the 05 for $300 and put it in and now I have a bike for the wife.
DSCF1020.jpg
DSCF1019.jpg

Nice builds. Dad sounds proud of his youngster. Now we need some pictures of him ripping it up through the woods on that track you are building...:thumb:

Yeah, I am pretty proud of him and I am glad he did this, might have been allot easier to just keep saving his money and buy one running but I am glad he got to experience this build. His face lighting up when he heard it start for the first time was pretty awesome. Oh that reminds me. I have a small little clip from my phone of him on it for the second heat cycle.

nice, he sounds like a good kid, which means you must be a good dad jackson....i bet hes proud of himself, tell him suzuki_dude said good job:thumb:

Yeah, I am pretty proud of him and I am glad he did this, might have been allot easier to just keep saving his money and buy one running but I am glad he got to experience this build. His face lighting up when he heard it start for the first time was pretty awesome.

Thats the part that was worth every penny and every minute you spent with him on it....
Imagine being a10 yr old kid and starting with a box of parts and being able to put it all together with some guidance and having it start. :clap:

That is a great story. Great story. My son and I just got back into it as I bought a YZ125 recently. We are redoing the top end now together, but this is a much better story. I have told my boy to try and do the same thing, and he is keen on it. The bike sounds good as well. Nice build, and nice bikes too.

James

Staff member
:confused: How did I miss this thread? Thanks for sharing. :thumb:

Yeah, I am pretty proud of him and I am glad he did this, might have been allot easier to just keep saving his money and buy one running but I am glad he got to experience this build. His face lighting up when he heard it start for the first time was pretty awesome.
This way will mean a lot more to him or it at least should, I know it would for me. :lol:

update Sunday he ordered some new graphics for his bike. They should be here today, here they are and as soon as he/we get them on I will post up some new pics.
graphics.JPG