250F Yz250f Clutch Problem

My clutch is not disengaging all the way and I can only shift about 50% of the time I try to shift. It's incredibly inhibiting my progess. I race and this is a no go. When I put it into first with the clutch lever pulled in it creeps forward. I was wishfully thinking it was only the cable but its tightened all the way and it still does this. I was forced to loosen the cable because the clutch lever had no play and was too far out. Now its even worse! And yes, it's the right size cable. Do I need a new clutch? How much will this cost? Thanks.

SRAD97750

Staff member
I would remove the clutch cable and inspect it. Look like you have stretched it or the adjustments are not set up right.
What bike? A clutch isn't going to give you these issues if it's going out. You would get the opposite, slippage.
I suspect cable/adjustment! -BIG DAN

I would remove the clutch cable and inspect it. Look like you have stretched it or the adjustments are not set up right.
What bike? A clutch isn't going to give you these issues if it's going out. You would get the opposite, slippage.
I suspect cable/adjustment! -BIG DAN

+1! :thumb: I remember my bro's clutch on his yz was giving him issues and it ended up being a simple fix...fixing the cable.

Sometimes a dry clutch or a very notched basket will also cause these issues. If have the clutch plates sitting for so long and no oil has been in between the fibers for awhile they will stick and not disengaged or if your basket is notched the plates will not seperate properly and will get that same effect. Has the bike been sitting very long? I suspect not since you say you race. When is the last time you changed your oil? You can pop off the cover really quick and give the basket a once over in about 15 minutes.

Sometimes a dry clutch or a very notched basket will also cause these issues. If have the clutch plates sitting for so long and no oil has been in between the fibers for awhile they will stick and not disengaged or if your basket is notched the plates will not seperate properly and will get that same effect. Has the bike been sitting very long? I suspect not since you say you race. When is the last time you changed your oil? You can pop off the cover really quick and give the basket a once over in about 15 minutes.
Do I need to drain the oil from the bike when I look at the clutch? or can I leave it in and have it not spill everywhere? Ive never opened it up before.

In theory you can just lay your bike on it's side, to check the clutch, without removing the oil.

BTW welcome to DBA. :cheers:
Never thought about that, actually sounds like a good idea. However my bike needs an oil changing anyway.
And thank you, Im liking this website already!:thumb:

What year is your bike?

What kind of oil do you use?

When was the last time it had a clutch?

Does it get better or worse when it warms up?

What year is your bike?

What kind of oil do you use?

When was the last time it had a clutch?

Does it get better or worse when it warms up?
1. 2007 YZ250F
2. Wait a sec! i remember the oil i put in said high performance ATV specific! You just reminded me! I thought it would be fine because I didnt think an ATV engines oil would be any different than a dirt bikes. Maybe thats it? It was Maxima racing ATV premium oil, 10W-40. It wasnt full synthetic.
3. that im not sure of. I bought it used and from what I recall he never mentioned that.
4. Worse. Sometimes it is ok 10-15 mintues after startup but gets progessively worse as I ride longer.

1. 2007 YZ250F
2. Wait a sec! i remember the oil i put in said high performance ATV specific! You just reminded me! I thought it would be fine because I didnt think an ATV engines oil would be any different than a dirt bikes. Maybe thats it? It was Maxima racing ATV premium oil, 10W-40. It wasnt full synthetic.
3. that im not sure of. I bought it used and from what I recall he never mentioned that.
4. Worse. Sometimes it is ok 10-15 mintues after startup but gets progessively worse as I ride longer.
oil will be fine.