Yz250 hard to shift

Hi guys, I have a 2000 YZ250 that I blew up 2 years ago( piston grenaded ). I did a full rebuild on the motor, but I didn’t touch the transmission just rinsed it with parts washer. I put the engine all back together and tried to shift it... the shifter wouldn’t budge. So I pulled apart the cases again figuring there was a piece of the piston in the tranny, but there was nothing. Now with the cases split I can shift the bike, but the forks kinda bind on the shift drum. Just wondering if I should be able to shift the bike smoothly with the cases split? Only idea would be a bent 1&2 shift fork? Because it tends to bind up going through those gears. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks, Jackson

You need to follow the manual and the minimum specifications on wear items in the transmission forks, gears, drum, and push rod. There are many factors that can cause the shifting to be "sticky" but not shift at all. What type of drain plug ar you using? Magnetic ones can be too long and will hit shift drum not allowing to shift. Post photos if you can, and the doc will set you on a path to mixing gas and slapping ass.
Additionally if there is no oil on the parts to lubricate and allow for the parts to slide freely you will also have sticky shifting. Insure that the dowels are in the correct locations and the cases do not bind the transmission shafts upon re-assembling.

Last edited:
Since the bike shifted fine before the rebuild It doesn’t make sense that anything would be worn, is it possible the the motor would not want to shift at all without any lubricant or the engine running?

Did you follow the manual on what to lube during assembling the transmission? I mean, you cleaned all of the lube out with solvent to bare metal and expect it to glide, spin, and shift?

OK..

Since the bike shifted fine before the rebuild It doesn’t make sense that anything would be worn, is it possible the the motor would not want to shift at all without any lubricant or the engine running?
I think it’s more possible that when it got put back together the first time a spacer got installed out of place. It caused a bind and now that the cases are split there is clearance to let it shift. They don’t shift smoothly in a split case, but if it does shift that’s a good sign.

I think it’s more possible that when it got put back together the first time a spacer got installed out of place. It caused a bind and now that the cases are split there is clearance to let it shift. They don’t shift smoothly in a split case, but if it does shift that’s a good sign.
There are no spacers, washers inside the YZ250 gearbox that sit on outside axles.