Will it happen?

i was just wondering will 2t ever get fuel injection? i mean is it possible?
It is definitely possible but none of the manufacturers are spending development dollars on 2 strokes anymore. If anyone were to make it happen it would probably be KTM. However KTM is the only one that hasn't gone to FI on their 450 yet. They say that it offered no power advantage and they have had one of the best 450 motors for the last couple years. Yamaha is the only other big manufacturer that is still making a 2 stroke at all and they haven't changed the YZ250 in the last 6 years. Unless a aftermarket company steps up to the plate and offers a FI system I highly doubt that it will ever happen. Other than not having to make jetting changes I don't really see FI as a advantage anyway. Maybe on the 250F's just to get rid of the hesitation off the bottom they are so notorious for but it doesn't make any more power than a carburetor. All of the tests of the new FI bikes that I have read say that the FI bikes don't have the over rev that the carburated bikes did.

It is definitely possible but none of the manufacturers are spending development dollars on 2 strokes anymore. If anyone were to make it happen it would probably be KTM. However KTM is the only one that hasn't gone to FI on their 450 yet. They say that it offered no power advantage and they have had one of the best 450 motors for the last couple years. Yamaha is the only other big manufacturer that is still making a 2 stroke at all and they haven't changed the YZ250 in the last 6 years. Unless a aftermarket company steps up to the plate and offers a FI system I highly doubt that it will ever happen. Other than not having to make jetting changes I don't really see FI as a advantage anyway. Maybe on the 250F's just to get rid of the hesitation off the bottom they are so notorious for but it doesn't make any more power than a carburetor. All of the tests of the new FI bikes that I have read say that the FI bikes don't have the over rev that the carburated bikes did.

Maybe thats a good thing? cuz revving the crap out of the bike is what wears it out faster, good for the racer, but not the average consumer

They will still rev as far they just don't make as power on top. My carburated CRF450 has been great. I've had a 05 and now I have a 08 and I've never had a motor issue with either of them. I just make sure to keep my valves in spec and rebuild the top end once a year or so depending on how much I ride. Another down side to FI is its too complicated for the average person to work on. I am comfortable working on a carburator but there is no way I would tear into a EFI system if something were to break.

Another down side to FI is its too complicated for the average person to work on. I am comfortable working on a carburator but there is no way I would tear into a EFI system if something were to break.

From what I have seen, the average(definition?) person doesn't know jack about working on carburetors either. The EFI that dirt bikes are getting right now also isn't that complicated as EFI systems go. If anything, they're fairly rudimentary as far as hardware.

Two-stroke scooters have been getting EFI for some time now in Europe and Asia. Many marine engines have had direct injection for years. Numerous carbureted two-strokes have been injected by hobbyists with MegaSquirt, so yes it is possible.

From what I have seen, the average(definition?) person doesn't know jack about working on carburetors either. The EFI that dirt bikes are getting right now also isn't that complicated as EFI systems go. If anything, they're fairly rudimentary as far as hardware.

Two-stroke scooters have been getting EFI for some time now in Europe and Asia. Many marine engines have had direct injection for years. Numerous carbureted two-strokes have been injected by hobbyists with MegaSquirt, so yes it is possible.
I consider myself average as far mechanical abilities and I had to tear my carb down this weekend because my bike wouldn't idle right (pilot jet ended up being clogged). If you can't figure out how to take a carb apart and put it back together you should being a holding a wrench in the first place. lol I would like to see one the new FI systems torn down considering a FI bike is in my near future.

For better or worse, EFI systems are relatively modular and non-repairable. Anything that can't be cleaned(like injectors or idle control valves) has to be replaced.

I mentioned MegaSquirt.....built one of those, install it on an engine that never had EFI, and you'll get a crash course in understanding how it works. :prof:

For better or worse, EFI systems are relatively modular and non-repairable. Anything that can't be cleaned(like injectors or idle control valves) has to be replaced.

I mentioned MegaSquirt.....built one of those, install it on an engine that never had EFI, and you'll get a crash course in understanding how it works. :prof:
Eh, I'll just go get a new 450. lol