Other Why a KTM?

Just curious why a KTM over a Yamaha? Not trying to start a mud throwing war or anything just curious if there are some added benifits to the KTM's.
It matches my garage. And the air de screwsner
Moab156.jpg

another reason...9200 miles on my 06 525 EXc now after this last weekends 350 3 day trip, still doesnt use oil, runs great, outpulls a new Honda 450x, just keeps on truckin'

I've never had problems with my Hondas valves. . . KTM's linkless set up sucks. It just doesn't work as good as linkage does. Probably the reason the new KTM's have linkage now. Any more I would say all the bikes are good and are more than capable of doing everything that you will want it to do. Pick your favorite and color and go ride.

but the linkless is less maintenance, easier to work on and cheaper to replace the bearings when they wear out, for the average guy this makes up for the difference. Wonder why the KTMs have won best bike in some of the mags lately? Ryno, have you ever owned a KTM to know this or is just what you read that the linkless isnt as good?

but the linkless is less maintenance, easier to work on and cheaper to replace the bearings when they wear out, for the average guy this makes up for the difference. Wonder why the KTMs have won best bike in some of the mags lately?

Because they are :noidea: Or maybe the editor drank the cool aide :noidea:

but the linkless is less maintenance, easier to work on and cheaper to replace the bearings when they wear out, for the average guy this makes up for the difference. Wonder why the KTMs have won best bike in some of the mags lately?
Apparently we read different magazines. The only one I read regularly is Transworld and the KTM's haven't made the top three in any of the shoot outs in the last 5 years. All of Transworlds shoot outs are on a mx track though. Maybe the KTM's are the best trail riding bike......

I haven't ever had to spend that much time or money on my suspension linkage on any any of bikes either (all Hondas and Yamahas).

but the linkless is less maintenance, easier to work on and cheaper to replace the bearings when they wear out, for the average guy this makes up for the difference. Wonder why the KTMs have won best bike in some of the mags lately? Ryno, have you ever owned a KTM to know this or is just what you read that the linkless isnt as good?

I don't think that makes a good point. It is "old technology" and cheeper for the company to produce. But why do they charge so much for there bikes? Don't forget, KTM's do not swim well either. :lol:

Because they are not :noidea: Or maybe the editor drank to much of the cool aide and was paid off. :noidea:

There, I fixed it for you Rack. :lol:

Apparently we read different magazines. The only one I read regularly is Transworld and the KTM's haven't made the top three in any of the shoot outs in the last 5 years. All of Transworlds shoot outs are on a mx track though. Maybe the KTM's are the best trail riding bike......

I haven't ever had to spend that much time or money on my suspension linkage on any any of bikes either (all Hondas and Yamahas).

No, the TW200 is the best trail bike! :P Transworld does good reports, but some I find are bias also. The only way to find out the bike for you, is to ride as many as you can. :thumb:

No I've never go to ride one. I've always wanted to but I don't know anybody that has one. After all the negative info that I have read on them as far as suspension/handling there is no way I would consider buying before riding it on several different tracks. I would really like to try one though. What is the MSRP on the 450SX-F? Last time I checked they were more than the Japanese bikes.

I don't think that makes a good point. It is "old technology" and cheeper for the company to produce. But why do they charge so much for there bikes? Don't forget, KTM's do not swim well either. :lol:

There, I fixed it for you Rack. :lol:

No, the TW200 is the best trail bike! :P Transworld does good reports, but some I find are bias also. The only way to find out the bike for you, is to ride as many as you can. :thumb:
Ya I completely agree. All the bike nowadays are decent. Like I posted earlier, pick your favorite color. I do believe KTM is making big strides in the right direction but not enough for me to hop on the band wagon yet.

One more question. If the linkless set up is as good then why do the new KTM's finally have linkage? LOL You can't get the same dampening effect without the linkage. Unless they want to start running bypasses too like a off road truck. :thumb:

so they can sell them to guys who think they need a linkage. Linkage does work very well and seems it is more forgiving and has a wider set point that works. But the linkless works as well but in a narrower area. Once setup right it is very good, but needs to be changed to work in a broader spectrum.

Palmer, the OP asked why KTM. You think easier and cheaper to work on isnt a factor to answer that question? Seems spot on to me.