When you service your bike do you?

Okay guys when I had the little 65 apart I serviced all the swing arm bearings. (I don't think it had ever been done) The grease was like tar. I don't even think the bearings would move. So I sprayed them down with carb cleaner to cut all the old grease then re greased them and they worked awesome. One thing I'm worried about is the carb cleaner. Someone told me it leaves a film and the grease won't stick to the bearings?

Next how often should a guy tear down his triple clamp and grease it? (Never done that either)

James

Staff member
Next how often should a guy tear down his triple clamp and grease it? (Never done that either)
My manual says to grease the steering stem bearing (I think that's what you meant) every 15 hrs, however I don't do it that often. It also says to inspect/grease the swingarm/linkage every 7.5 hours. However the manual is usually a little aggressive on the maintenance. :noidea:

I'd say that most of those are a once a year kind of thing. I'm about two years on my swingarm/linkage, but I do have zerks that I pump grease into. One big thing is how much water you ride through. Submerged bearings like attention right away or they can rust.

James

Staff member
I'd say that most of those are a once a year kind of thing. I'm about two years on my swingarm/linkage, but I do have zerks that I pump grease into. One big thing is how much water you ride through. Submerged bearings like attention right away or they can rust.
:thumb:

Also if you power-wash your bike, go easy on the pressure around the linkage.

SRAD97750

Staff member
Even though the Intervals are far apart. Don't forget to lube them.

I had my steering lock up on me out in the desert.... Had to drift around every corner.
I crashed many times and almost died several times on the way back to the truck. Steering is Important.:prof: