whats compatible?

I just got a 87 125 rm and im wonderdin if there is jugs compatible or what yrs are compatible for all parts. Not gettin spark. What should I change first? Coil cdi or stator. N if I dont have the kill switch plugged in do I gotta run a jumper.

I just got a 87 125 rm and im wonderdin if there is jugs compatible or what yrs are compatible for all parts. Not gettin spark. What should I change first? Coil cdi or stator. N if I dont have the kill switch plugged in do I gotta run a jumper.
CDI's are not known for dying on these years of 125's, check your grounds, spark plug wire and boot. 87 and 88 jugs, heads, and crankcase will work, however the internals are all completely different, IE piston, crank, con rod etc etc... they shared the same powervalve setup, but the power valves are NOT compatible. The bores came factory as non coated iron bores, if you are over .040" or 1mm over i recommend resleeving the cylinder. The powervavles are known to fail on these bikes and fall into the cylinder. I run mine with out the power valves and it runs fine.

If you need anymore info let me know!

+1 on what Nighthawk016 said. Make sure that the wiring is good first. For that kill switch wire. It must not be contacting the frame. All that switch does is connect that kill switch wire to the frame ground to kill the engine. If in doubt wrap the end in some electrical tape. If the insulation is frayed anywhere along it's length andit short to the frame you will get no spark.

first thing i would do past the connections and sanding off the grounds is get a multimeter and check the stator. dont buy any parts until you do. check the coil, the wire and the cap the same way

I have a 1990 that I just picked up. There was a lot of corrosion around the stator and flywheel area. Might be worth a shot checking there...Also double check that the flywheel is tightened all the way up.