What would you pay for vintage??

^^^That's amazing for an unrestored original bike! Original tires?? Crazy at $7500 though.

I always look too. Just yesterday I was looking at my first "real" bike when I was a kid. Whenever I do find one that is not restored, it's usually in the $1200-$1500 range and missing lots of parts. I think it would be cool to race in the vintage class with it:

1978 Husqvarna 390 OR
Husky390a.jpg

James

Staff member
Wow it's amazing how much has changed on these bikes.

• No rear shock/linkage
  • No fluid brakes
  • Sprocket on the "wrong" side
I'm not sure if I'd trust that suspension, it looks a little to "springy". :lol: Don't they also weigh a lot more?

^^^That's amazing for an unrestored original bike! Original tires?? Crazy at $7500 though.

I always look too. Just yesterday I was looking at my first "real" bike when I was a kid. Whenever I do find one that is not restored, it's usually in the $1200-$1500 range and missing lots of parts. I think it would be cool to race in the vintage class with it:

1978 Husqvarna 390 OR
Husky390a.jpg

I wanted that bike when I was younger..............a lot younger! Came real close to buying one from George at Uptite but had recently bought my dez sled (TT500) and couldn't afford it!

Wow it's amazing how much has changed on these bikes.

• No rear shock/linkage
  • No fluid brakes
  • Sprocket on the "wrong" side
I'm not sure if I'd trust that suspension, it looks a little to "springy". :lol: Don't they also weigh a lot more?

I replaced the rear stock shocks with some Ohlins piggybacks which made a big diff, but at 8" front and rear travel, you didn't hit any doubles with it. The brakes would turn to mush and lose half or more of their stopping power when wet or muddy! It was an ass puckerer on big downhills...you would be standing on the rear break and squeezing the front with everything you had and you would still just slow down. The kickstarter was on the left side of the bike, so I had to get off to kick it over with the right leg. It was a heavy pig, but it hauled ass and the steering geometry made it good for the woods. Maintenance was never an issue because I never did any back then...dad had no real tools! :eek:

That's a mans bike, imagine desert racing on those things...gnar gnar

I want that seat!!! Looks like a leather pillow, only I know it is low density foam undernieth that would probably turn your ass and the herpes on it black and blue

My brother just got done restoring this bike. I believe he paid $1,200. He dropped roughly another grand into it. I think it came out sweet. He races it in the vintage class.

DSCF0002.jpg

Here is a video of the restoration. Kind of long, but gives good background.

YouTube - 1980 YZ125

Shee it! I raced desert in 71-72 with 5" front and 3-4" rear on that 72 MX. Talk about fun!!! It also had that lite switch power band, either on or off. It was a real joy getting up a loose. slow, steep climb.

OK, here is a possible restore project. I'm looking at it Weds this week. Guy says that its a 72 or a 74 Yami 125. He says all the parts are there for it and it runs. Fender and airbox included. $125 OBO. He also has an 87 YZ 250 for another $200 that needs a top end, but he has the piston and rings new in a box for it. Any idea what model Yami this is? Worth restoring for resale?

yami.jpg
[/IMG]

OK, here is a possible restore project. I'm looking at it Weds this week. Guy says that its a 72 or a 74 Yami 125. He says all the parts are there for it and it runs. Fender and airbox included. $125 OBO. He also has an 87 YZ 250 for another $200 that needs a top end, but he has the piston and rings new in a box for it. Any idea what model Yami this is? Worth restoring for resale?

yami.jpg
[/IMG]

pass on that