What was the best piece of advice you have given to a teenager?

Where does one start? You can bring the "horse" to water, but can't make him drink. I think your actions as a parent about you act do more than probably words can. Be responsible and don't be a flake. See through your commitments no matter what they are. The world does not like quitters. If you get knocked down, keep getting up no matter how many times you hit the ground. Be nice, courteous and polite (chivalry is not dead) especially to those older than you.

All of this is difficult, but in my opinion, very important.

So what happened to you Rack?:jawdrop::moon::lol::busted::hug::picard:

Told My son the other day.

As soon as you can afford to stick $50 a pay check towards your retirement, do so and slap more as soon as you get a raise. The government won't be there for you when you retire and you shouldn't expect them to be :prof:

I learned money management from my mom... "always save for a rainy day"... I did and have been able to "take carte of business" to this day. I take great pride in what I've been able to do where my siblings haven't.

Because of her advice...
"I" was able to buy new cars
"I" was able to pay for my wedding (loing story on my wifes side)
"I" was able to ion 1 years time...
* Got married
* Had a baby
* Bought a NEW car
* Bought a NEW house
all because I learned how to save and be frugal with my spending. I tried to teach this to my kids BUT, as mentioned so many times.. "you can lead a horse to water but you can't make it drink." (generally speaking).. money burns holes in kids pockets... they were taught the value of the dollar and the importance of their financial well being however... :deadhorse:

Last edited:
Where does one start? You can bring the "horse" to water, but can't make him drink. I think your actions as a parent about you act do more than probably words can. Be responsible and don't be a flake. See through your commitments no matter what they are. The world does not like quitters. If you get knocked down, keep getting up no matter how many times you hit the ground. Be nice, courteous and polite (chivalry is not dead) especially to those older than you.

All of this is difficult, but in my opinion, very important.

QUOTE]

So true Geek... my son will tell me of things he has done because he has seen me do it, etc. My oldest continues to tell me she remembers what I had told her... (continues to still do "stupid" things at times), my youngest floored me not too long ago when she pulled out her wallet and showed me that she keeps her money folded like I taught her... "small bills wrapped over the larger bills so no one sees what you've got". That was a lesson I taught her years ago... made me smile. :D

And I have been told numerous times when I hold a door open for a lady, etc. that she/they were surprised there are still gentlemen in the world.

I've told my kids that besides getting a college education (more in demand today then a few years back) to land that good job, make sure you are getting a job that you enjoy getting up everyday to go do. If you enjoy your job, the compensation will follow. My Mgr will tell you that I am a sick man because I love going to work in the morning. The last few years of my last employment, she could tell I was not as happy. They did me a favor in letting me go and now she can't shut me up again about talking about my new gig.

I learned money management from my mom... "always save for a rainy day"... I did and have been able to "take carte of business" to this day. I take great pride in what I've been able to do where my siblings haven't.

Because of her advice...
"I" was able to buy new cars
"I" was able to pay for my wedding (loing story on my wifes side)
"I" was able to ion 1 years time...
* Got married
* Had a baby
* Bought a NEW car
* Bought a NEW house
all because I learned how to save and be frugal with my spending. I tried to teach this to my kids BUT, as mentioned so many times.. "you can lead a horse to water but you can't make it drink." (generally speaking).. money burns holes in kids pockets... they were taught the value of the dollar and the importance of their financial well being however... :deadhorse:

EDIT: After reading what I posted, it looks more like I was boasting about what I had done... that wasn't the point I was trying to make, it was directed at the advice my mom had given me... by doing so (saving my money) I was able to do those things.

Not everyone works in an air conditioned office with four walls a window and short skirt, hot sectaries walking around. Even if you hate your job they can still learn from you. They will learn responsibility. I wake up every morning at 4am leave at 5am to go to work. No matter what time I go to bed. This forum keeps me up late sometimes. Yes I enjoy it here that much. I return home around 5:15pm everyday. My boys know I am not there when they wake up. They know I am not home when they get off the bus. Unless I pick them up when they have practice. They know I hate my job but, this is what I do. I do not complain or talk about my job. Only if they ask about what it is I do while I am there. teaching your kids Responsibility teaches them respect and how to behave and appreciate what their parents work so hard for.
then again I could be just lucky enough to have four boy who care.

I have to respect the guys that get up and go to a job they don't like, because it is the best or in some cases the only way that they can provide a decent life for the ones they are responsible for. My father impressed on me that I would need a good education so I could be more choosy. I honestly learned more things that helped me get where I am away from the classroom, but the degrees helped me open some doors that wouldn't have been otherwise. So it has never been a pain for me to go to work since finishing in the classroom. Starting my own business rewarded me in the same way. I doubt that I will retire, at least fully.

One can only wish we had a sectary that looks like Mercedes Terrell. :faint: :spin:
Now before you look at this picture. Please keep your hands where they can be seen. :smirk:
mercedes_terrell_04.jpg

Last edited: