What Cameras Are Good

I don't want to spend a bunch of money but I wanted to look into a video type that can be helmet mounted and easy to use. I also was wondering if there is an easy type of camera other than the one I carry in my backpack. If there is an easy to use camera I would be able to take more pics that I am accused of never taking. What are you all using out there?

I am Currently running the Go Pro HD 1080P model. I paid $300 for it. I think its great. However........ www.RockMountainMC.com is currently selling the 960 model for I believe $180. More or less its the same machine does the same quality job with video. The only draw back that I can recall is that the 960 records a little more wind noise than the 1080. So for nearly $150 dollar savings you too can start documenting your rides.

My youngest brother runs a helmet camera made by Oregon Scientific. Its a nice looking camera and it works. How ever the video is very grainy and the audio is very poor. I believe he spent $100 Plus or minus $20. It works good but the quality just isnt there.

Then there is the VR Contour. A very nice helmet type camera, compareable to the Go Pro in video, audio, and price. But it does not come with a water proof housing. It will need to be purchase separately. That and they dont advertise. I have never seen the VR Contour advertised on televsion. The Go Pro advertises heavily on ESPN, and the Speed Channel. So You can decided who is who. But The deal I mentioned at RockyMountainMC.com is pretty respectable in my book.

I don't want to spend a bunch of money but I wanted to look into a video type that can be helmet mounted and easy to use. I also was wondering if there is an easy type of camera other than the one I carry in my backpack. If there is an easy to use camera I would be able to take more pics that I am accused of never taking. What are you all using out there?

I think it's where you carry the camera that makes the biggest difference. I carry mine in my backpack also, and find that to be a very inconvenient place. I have to stop, get off the bike, take the backpack off, open it up, get the camera, take pics, then do everything in reverse order before I can start riding again. That's too much BS to go through. I'm also looking for a camera that can be used with only one (left) hand that takes good pics and doesn't cost too much. Then I will figure out a way to strap it to my chest, or somewhere that has easy acess. I like the some guys can shoot pics while riding. :thumb:

Now we are talking. I am not too sure about the $11 version from China but this one looks interesting. I assume this is the one some of you guys are using or is that a wrong assumption. Any good information on where you buy these?
i am a eye snob so that quality drives me nuts but i cant say anything bad about it for that price.

also if you want a step up from that you could go with the older gopro .. the SD one... http://gopro.com/cameras/sd-hero-170-camera/ and its only 100 bucks
thats SRADS video and he uses one. Also the SD goPro is half as thick as the Hero and uses regular batterys not the nic ones or whatever tehy are

thats SRAD a DBA member... he posts his vids all the time.

and you can buy it via the link james posted and it will help DBA out.

James

Staff member
I always forget about the Go Pro HD 960, thanks for pointing that out 2smoke. :thumb:

The HD960 is the "budget" Go Pro camera, you can get it from Go Pro for $180. Click Here

According to Go Pro's website this is what's missing from the 960 when compared to the Hero 1080:

Missing from the HD HERO 960 are 720p @ 60fps, 1080p video, and the HERO BUS expansion port in the rear of the camera that will let you take advantage of GoPro’s forthcoming BacPac accessories – LCD screen & Battery Extension

Here is what I carry when riding:
kodak-m893-is.jpg
Kodak M893

EPIC_wide_cam.jpg
Current Helmet Cam - Epic Wide

EPIC-HD.jpg
Looking to upgrade to this little guy. Epic HD.

I too keep my camera in my backpack or fanny pack, so getting it is not fast. I may strap mine to the chest protector for quicker picture taking or maybe I don't care....:noidea:

SRAD97750

Staff member
I found my Standard GoPro Hero 170 with the motorsports kit (suction cup, 5 mount bases, 3 mounts, adjustable arm, extra stickies) for $79 shipped on eBay. SHOP around. I love my gopro, it's all i'll ever need. HD can take a hike. 79 bucks for this????? http://www.youtube.com/hamtyboy Hands down the best deal out there. -BIG DAN:blah:

I like this 960. So from what I understand, this camera can be used just as a simple point and shoot camera as well as a video recorder, which is of good quality for both. Does anyone use this as a point and shoot camera?
I always forget about the Go Pro HD 960, thanks for pointing that out 2smoke. :thumb:

The HD960 is the "budget" Go Pro camera, you can get it from Go Pro for $180. Click Here

According to Go Pro's website this is what's missing from the 960 when compared to the Hero 1080:

SRAD97750

Staff member
I use it for still shots. But it's commonly mounted. Easy to use and OK pictures. 5 MP is pretty big and the fish eye doesn't mess with it too much. - BIG DAN:thumb:
EDIT - I'll post some examples soon

Hey any of you ran the Contour HD helmet cam? I'm looking at 2 of them that are used.:thinking:

I have never personally ran the Contour. But I know a guy that have them and I have seen the video's from them. The video and audio quality is comparable to the Go Pro. But thats about it. The guy I know that has one all his videos that I have seen have been off of a goggle side mount. So that leads me to believe that may be the only mounting option. Though I could be mistaken.

I like this 960. So from what I understand, this camera can be used just as a simple point and shoot camera as well as a video recorder, which is of good quality for both. Does anyone use this as a point and shoot camera?

I have used my Go Pro for still photos. However......... There is no view finder. I found it best to just block out what i was shooting with the camera and the pictures came out pretty good. Also if you go with the 960 I dont think you can use the new expansion stuff that is out now for the 1080P which does have a screen to view photos that have been taken. So you would have to wait till you could down load your photos and video on to your computer to view them.

But the 960 is a quality unit and inexpensive by comparison to the 1080.

James

Staff member
I have used my Go Pro for still photos. However......... There is no view finder. I found it best to just block out what i was shooting with the camera and the pictures came out pretty good. Also if you go with the 960 I dont think you can use the new expansion stuff that is out now for the 1080P which does have a screen to view photos that have been taken. So you would have to wait till you could down load your photos and video on to your computer to view them.

But the 960 is a quality unit and inexpensive by comparison to the 1080.
The new LCD BacPac does allow you to use it as a viewfinder. :thumb: