What bike should I get? Want to start

Hey all, im 15, 5'11" and 175lbs, never really ridden before, and looking to buy my first bike, want to use it for track and trails really, don't really have too high of a budget, about £900 ($1475). Please could you guys help me out and tell me what bike you think I should get? I don't want to grow out of it too quickly aswell, I'd love it if you all could help me:)
Thankss:)

Welcome Hayden!
This is a tough choice. I would like to tell you to go pick up a nice 125 2stroke but your lack of experience has me concerned.... How much experience do you actually have?

Thank you for welcoming me!:)
Well, I was looking at a RM 125 earlier actually, I've not had a lot of experience, last bike I rode was a KX85, which was amazing, I rid it for about an hour, other than that, I've had no experience
Thanks

James

Staff member
At your size/age it'll either have to be a 125 or 250f. A 125 should be somewhat cheaper, however it has a different feel than a 4 stroke (250f).

Everyone has to start at some point, I'd say find yourself a great bike and just start riding. Oh and don't forget to wear the correct riding gear. Try searching for some of the previous threads on gear selection or just start your own gear thread. :thumb:

Thank you for your help, what do you think of a Suzuki RM125? I was looking at a 250F but they are too expensive and out of my budget, unfortunately, I will check out some gear, I already have body armor I think, would I be able to ride with just a helmet and boots?

Thank you for your help, what do you think of a Suzuki RM125? I was looking at a 250F but they are too expensive and out of my budget, unfortunately, I will check out some gear, I already have body armor I think, would I be able to ride with just a helmet and boots?
Helmet boots and gloves! But you can use work gloves or something!

People can learn on a 2smoke of larger size John-Martin started with YZ250's so it can be done. Look for 2002 up and it should be in your price range. And welcome to DBA.

get the bigger bike and just respect the hell out of that throttle for a good amount of time.

I agree with Travace. If you had some more disposable income Id say get the 125. Ride the hell out of it and learn as much as possible with it untill you feel you need more power. But.................... That isnt very realistic. So with that said, try and find a 250 2 stroke. Yes its a lot of bike especially for somebody that is really just learning. But just because you have all that extra power doesnt mean you have to use ALL of it. Your only 15, your nearly nearly 2 meters tall and weigh about 12.5 stone (79kg). Your not even close to being done growing. In a year or two time you will have physically out grown a 125 and maybe even a 250F. But a 250 2 stroke will be perfect for you. But like Travace mentioned respect the hell out of that throttle. I ride a 250 2 stroke and Ive been riding off and on for longer than 30 years and I still dont use everything my 250 has to offer. But its there when I want it or need it.

Food for thought.
Welcome to DBA. You wont find a better group of know it alls that are more than willing to give you an honest opinion. By the way, were in the UK are you from. My best mate in the UK lives in Witham Essex.

You can handle a 250 smoker just take your time and do like others had said...baby it and get used to it... Jmach a member on here 15yo and smaller than you, he rides a 300 smoker and rides it like he stole that sum bish.:ride:

FWW is an option to tame the power a little.

That is a great suggestion Palmer. But the young man that started this thread is new to dirt bikes. Im pretty sure he doesnt know what FWW means:bonk: . But what Palmer84one is suggesting is adding a Fly Wheel Weight (FWW). And he is correct adding a FWW will help tame the beast that lives within a 2 stroke engine.