Water in airbox and through the motor...re-routing carby vent lines??

I am considering also re-routing the crankcase breather hose as well as the carby vent hoses, just in case the water actually got in through there, and putting a filter in it but how then would the air get into the hose if the filter is blocking up the open end of the hose?

At the moment one side connects to my crankcase and the other side connects to the carby intake funnel(there's a hole in the intake funnel it connects to), which allows air in.

sounds reasonable that it could be the oil thru breather hose...I would not take it apart. I would first look for water in the oil you removed or on the inside of the oil filler cap where it might condense. I would just ride it and get it good n hot, then drain oil and change filter again...after that I would no longer worry about it.

There is a valve you can put in line to keep water or dirt from migrating up the line. I also have a KN style filter on the end of my hose and have the line zip tied to a bracket above the carb area.

Last edited:
To start:::

Vent Hoses: My 400 EXC had been fairly trouble free so I had not dwelled on this, recently spent a day on an 03 EXC RFS and we where slopping in mud. The engine had tried to die once in a stream crossing and I had read several posts about vent hoses and was thinking about them. I had also noted the ones on my ’01 ended about the swing arm pivot, on this 03 they hung at least three inches below the bottom of the chassis. I had one glove that was totally gorped with mud so when we rode into a wide shallow river, not even up to the pegs, I said “good opportunity to wash that glove”, I stopped, idling in neutral and bent down to rise the glove. The engine died, would not restart, I had to push out of the stream, then waited for the bowl to refill and use the choke to start it. Obviously what is happening is not water getting into the carb, rather gas can not get in without pushing displaced air out and the pressure difference is not adequate to push the water aside. This is a bit like putting your finger on a soda straw, then pulling the straw out of the soda only in reverse.
Later at home I ran a test, started the bike and let it idle on the stand, I took a cup of water and held it under the bike dipping all of 4 the vent hoses into the water, in a few seconds the engine died. Then I bought on of those $19 aftermarket kits that is supposed to fix this, they talk about another problem that I may have experienced and did not know it? That is where you are going fast in bumps and gas bounces into the tube, can not run in out as pressure/vacuum is balancing in the carb and causes the floats to flood?? Not sure I am buying this theory? Anyway they believe the cure is to vent “up” rather than “down”.
Looked at the stock setup of two “T”s and four vent hoses (plus on drain hose) and determined somebody at Kehein is nuts? (In their defense the reason Kehein likes these tubes hanging down is it reduces the risk of drooling gas on a upside down bike causing a fire.)
I looked at the $19 kit which includes an mini air box & filter to put in the air box, thought is was overkill and if the hoses are just run up I have a concern that if the bike lays on its side the vent hoses could spill gas on a bike tipped more than 90 degrees. After soaking up the info that was in the kit (and believing some) I tossed it. Of the five hoses one is a bowl drain (from the bottom of the carb) which we can ignore, four are vents, come from the upper part of the carb. If I may number these vents;
#1: Comes from the side of a “T” on the left side of the carb and goes down.
#2: Comes from the top of a “T” on the left side of the carb and goes up, over & down the right..
#3: Comes from the side of a “T” on the right side of the carb and goes down.
#4: Comes from the top of a “T” on the right side of the carb and goes up, over & down the left.
Also on the float bowl screws there are two tabs to retain downward hoses.
Dave’s Way;
#1: Is left alone.
#2: Is run over the top but shortened and run into the right side “T” thus negating #4.
#3: Is run up into the air box and with a small piece of tubing spliced on the hose you have left over from #4 and go to the bottom of the air box. My preference is to pinch it with the air filter to secure it there!
Then I tossed the right side tab, Hose #1 can run thru the left one.
Now if the bike is in water the bowl will still be vented via the top hose, and if the bike is upside down and you ran the hose to the bottom of the air box it should not let gas run out. If you let it end at the top of the air box gas can run out, get on the exhaust as you stand the bike up creating some risk of fire.

I know...I read that already 2 days ago.
I've decided to go a different route. I have ordered a carby vent hose filter where they all connect to and will route it to my air box.
Also, I worked out the water sucked in through the crankcase breather hose which seems to be a common issue on the KTM's when doing deep enough stream crossings.

To start:::

Vent Hoses: My 400 EXC had been fairly trouble free so I had not dwelled on this, recently spent a day on an 03 EXC RFS and we where slopping in mud. The engine had tried to die once in a stream crossing and I had read several posts about vent hoses and was thinking about them. I had also noted the ones on my ’01 ended about the swing arm pivot, on this 03 they hung at least three inches below the bottom of the chassis. I had one glove that was totally gorped with mud so when we rode into a wide shallow river, not even up to the pegs, I said “good opportunity to wash that glove”, I stopped, idling in neutral and bent down to rise the glove. The engine died, would not restart, I had to push out of the stream, then waited for the bowl to refill and use the choke to start it. Obviously what is happening is not water getting into the carb, rather gas can not get in without pushing displaced air out and the pressure difference is not adequate to push the water aside. This is a bit like putting your finger on a soda straw, then pulling the straw out of the soda only in reverse.
Later at home I ran a test, started the bike and let it idle on the stand, I took a cup of water and held it under the bike dipping all of 4 the vent hoses into the water, in a few seconds the engine died. Then I bought on of those $19 aftermarket kits that is supposed to fix this, they talk about another problem that I may have experienced and did not know it? That is where you are going fast in bumps and gas bounces into the tube, can not run in out as pressure/vacuum is balancing in the carb and causes the floats to flood?? Not sure I am buying this theory? Anyway they believe the cure is to vent “up” rather than “down”.
Looked at the stock setup of two “T”s and four vent hoses (plus on drain hose) and determined somebody at Kehein is nuts? (In their defense the reason Kehein likes these tubes hanging down is it reduces the risk of drooling gas on a upside down bike causing a fire.)
I looked at the $19 kit which includes an mini air box & filter to put in the air box, thought is was overkill and if the hoses are just run up I have a concern that if the bike lays on its side the vent hoses could spill gas on a bike tipped more than 90 degrees. After soaking up the info that was in the kit (and believing some) I tossed it. Of the five hoses one is a bowl drain (from the bottom of the carb) which we can ignore, four are vents, come from the upper part of the carb. If I may number these vents;
#1: Comes from the side of a “T” on the left side of the carb and goes down.
#2: Comes from the top of a “T” on the left side of the carb and goes up, over & down the right..
#3: Comes from the side of a “T” on the right side of the carb and goes down.
#4: Comes from the top of a “T” on the right side of the carb and goes up, over & down the left.
Also on the float bowl screws there are two tabs to retain downward hoses.
Dave’s Way;
#1: Is left alone.
#2: Is run over the top but shortened and run into the right side “T” thus negating #4.
#3: Is run up into the air box and with a small piece of tubing spliced on the hose you have left over from #4 and go to the bottom of the air box. My preference is to pinch it with the air filter to secure it there!
Then I tossed the right side tab, Hose #1 can run thru the left one.
Now if the bike is in water the bowl will still be vented via the top hose, and if the bike is upside down and you ran the hose to the bottom of the air box it should not let gas run out. If you let it end at the top of the air box gas can run out, get on the exhaust as you stand the bike up creating some risk of fire.

Just on that. Just out of curiosity, why do we have to route them a special way? why can't we just put all 4 hoses(excluding the float bowl overflow hose) up into the airbox without routing them a special way?

ok. and the crankcase breather hose?...im going to vent it to the atmosphere, does it matter if it's vented up high or down low?
I notice the Yamaha's and stuff have em vented down low. Not exactly sure why but i'd just prefer it up high but wondering if it matters or not?