V force reeds...

V force reeds and reed box will get you more hp on the upper end of wide open throttle. So more or less from 7/8 throttle to wide open is where you really see the v force shine. Boyesen will get you more useable power from 1/4 to 3/4 throttle. So I guess it will really depend on where your bike lives the most in throttle position.

This info is based off of technical info from boyesen and v force based on application for my dirt bike. I have no practical experience with V force. However I do run the Boyesen Rad valve and Pro series carbon fiber reeds on my bike. I can honestly say that my bike clearly has more bottom to mid range power by comparision to the stock reed cage and reeds.

Take it for what its worth. You will never know for sure untill you spend the nearly $350 dollars combined to run both manufactures to see what is best for you.

I have the V-Force Reed cage and carbon reeds on my 03 YZ250 and it was a huge improvement over the stock setup. The bike mostly runs in the High Desert in So Cal, but works great in the tight trees and rocky technical stuff as well. This is not a cheap mod and the reeds will wear a little faster depending on how hard you are on the throttle. I have done other mods to the bike to go alone with the reed cage, but I have gained power from the the bottom to the top with this setup. It is a lot snappier and it has quick throttle response.

Ok, you all should be proud of me. I used the search option and found a bunch of info on helping me make my decision. V-force 3 vs. Boysen Rad Valve. I have had both the Rad Valve and the V-force Delta 2 reed systems. I know it is not the 3 but, they are made of the same material. I also found the same results with the power. At the time I chose to stick with the V-force Delta 2 over the Rad Valve. The V-force was what was in and gaining popularity quickly. I come to not like the composite material the V-force is made from. I had problems with over torqueing the manifold bolts and squishing the cage to the point of cracking. But, not just that, on the inside of the cage there is what can be described as erosion in the corners of the flanges. The reeds look to be burnt and frayed. which could be do to the fuel I burn. I will post pictures of the erosion spots when I get a chance. I believe The boysen Rad Valve is a much better material for this type of product. I think I will once again buy the Rad Valve and learn to love it for its dependability. Thanks for helping me make my decision. :thumb:

I noticed a more responsive low end,and more snap in the midrange of my RM 250,it's some of the best money I spent on that bike was installing the V force reeds.

Last edited:
I dont think for trail I would have liked it on your suzuki any better than on the 500's to be honest. My son put them on his cr250. didnt want a flywheel weight. i had it one weekend and put it on it anyway. then he liked it better. they deliver a hit, but running everything i have side by side with a good running stock reed boxed rig, they dont gain anything.

I dont think for trail I would have liked it on your suzuki any better than on the 500's to be honest. My son put them on his cr250. didnt want a flywheel weight. i had it one weekend and put it on it anyway. then he liked it better. they deliver a hit, but running everything i have side by side with a good running stock reed boxed rig, they dont gain anything.
with a pipe and reeds the suzuki rips more, which isnt good for the trail, but I did it because I like that bike with as much arm ripping power as I can squeeze outa it,but I agree that it doesnt make a good trail bike set up like that, just a hellava fun bike.

I think they are both waste on the cr500. Heck, anything to help it spin the tire more is a waste.

I did notice that with the V-force I could control the throttle better. It did not have the on-off throttle reaction. I think I will buy the Rad Valve again and run the bike with a fly wheel weight. Most likely the 11 once weight. That should calm down the Rad Valve a little bit.

I liked the stock reeds fine on my cr500. With any of the porting arrangements. Your cylinder may be different than any if the three I have for mine though. Everything is about what you like to ride in the end. :thumb: