Tubliss vs Heavy Duty Tube

I was watching this video lasts week. I have been running tubes forever. I have been kicking around the tubliss, but not hearing much from a race perspective only the trail riders.

I started running tubliss last year. Mainly for the ease of fixing flats and I got a flat front on my second ride with them. It was an easy fix, just plug it and pump it back up. I’m still running the plugged tire. Even though it’s easy to fix flats, you still can get them. For racing, I think mousses would be the way to go.

I started running tubliss last year. Mainly for the ease of fixing flats and I got a flat front on my second ride with them. It was an easy fix, just plug it and pump it back up. I’m still running the plugged tire. Even though it’s easy to fix flats, you still can get them. For racing, I think mousses would be the way to go.
Yeah I hear Mousse is the way to go for racing dez. I ran a mousse years ago in the Baja 1000 and unfortunately the mousse gets hot on the pavement. Ours completely broke down and melted. That was years ago and I am sure they have come a long way since then. Tubliss I think is good for out play riding and not having to carry a spare tube and spoons, but I hear more people getting flats with tubliss than with out. Yes you can stop and fix it quick but it is still a flat and you are fixing it. Also i hear the "unsprung weight thing and they are lighter" are you feeling that difference out riding? If so, is it that noticeable?
I have been running tubes forever and seems to be OK. Yes I may get a flat every once in awhile but not that often. I will run a HD tube and sometimes run a stock tube around it.

Just still thinking about it. They are pricey and if I was getting flats constantly, I would pull the trigger.

I switched to tubliss just now. I "think" the reason people still get flats is they run them too low on pressure for the most part. But that is how they were designed to be run-low for better traction. Im on my first set. The front is working well, but my rear high pressure side leaks down too much pressure in just a couple of days. Im going to add some Slime to that high pressure inner tube and see if it stops. Traction is great with them.

Yeah I hear Mousse is the way to go for racing dez. I ran a mousse years ago in the Baja 1000 and unfortunately the mousse gets hot on the pavement. Ours completely broke down and melted. That was years ago and I am sure they have come a long way since then. Tubliss I think is good for out play riding and not having to carry a spare tube and spoons, but I hear more people getting flats with tubliss than with out. Yes you can stop and fix it quick but it is still a flat and you are fixing it. Also i hear the "unsprung weight thing and they are lighter" are you feeling that difference out riding? If so, is it that noticeable?
I have been running tubes forever and seems to be OK. Yes I may get a flat every once in awhile but not that often. I will run a HD tube and sometimes run a stock tube around it.

Just still thinking about it. They are pricey and if I was getting flats constantly, I would pull the trigger.
They are lighter than tubes. I can feel the difference when I’m mounting the wheels on the bike, but not so much while riding. :noidea:
The flat I got was a puncture. Something poked about a 1/4” hole through the front tire. That’s going to happen with tubes also. Tubliss eliminates pinch flats, though. You can air down for traction and still blitz across the dez and not worry. The high pressure bladder sticks up above the rim and is supposed to provide wheel protection, although I haven’t tested that out myself yet. I’m pretty much a third gear guy nowadays. :busted:

Tubliss sounds like its the replacement to the trails tire but you can still run your fav knob. I had a freeride and it had trials tires, cool to run low pressure and crawl up anything.

I can see the weight saving gains and may feel it on the 300 with throttle response. Just still kicking it around. It is a pricey setup ($180 ish for a set i think) but maybe on a new tire swap for next years race season. I know Rack is running it and still getting use to it. I haven't really talked to him on what his thoughts are yet.