Try Agian... New here!

250 or 450

Votes: 3 100.0%

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
The part you said about not wanting to have to unlearn bad habits caught my eye: It runs with what I mentioned about spending your money on a school to learn to ride. If you rely on your friends to teach you, they will impart some of the good that they know, and some of the bad they dont even know is bad. I think once you get clutch use and starting the bike and getting it in and out of the truck or trailer down it is time for a school or at least some video from someone like Gary Semics.

Friends where racing is concerned can be invaluable, but unless they come with a real pedigree, you are going to do a lot of "unlearning" before either of you get too far. For instance if your friends have not done their best to steer a first time rider/mechanic away from a 2-3000 dollar 450 already then I think the best racing advice you should be taking with them is directions to tracks.

The most valuable learning tools for riding I currently know is a camera. Look at training vids, and use them to video your own riding.
You have some great advice and points. I've been trying to find a moto "school" around here but haven't had much luck... There is one about 2-3 hours from me so that's a bit of a long haul. I've been watching videos, reading articles and have picked up a great deal of info. Putting it to use is another thing.
My friends have a theory on price point. Has to work right, be used and beauty isn't important. They are experienced at rebuilding bikes and such so that will be a huge help.

Why do you say "steer a first time rider/mechanic away from a 2-3000 dollar 450 already then I think the best racing advice you should be taking with them is directions to tracks."? From what I understand that is a good price point for an older model

good from the standpoint of it is affordable to PURCHASE. Finding one that doesnt need a lot of work will be tough. Finding one that you can start will be hard too. Finding one that you can start after it falls over hot will be about the same probability of you getting on a plane that is going to be hijacked. So since you haven't had anyone steer you away from them, I am giving your friends a D+ until I know more.

I am sure there are some good youtube etc vids, but so far I guess I missed those. Seems like having a first name of Gary is almost necessary for motocross school teachers. Gary Bailey and Gary Semics being the two I would be drawn to.

Hi Megan, the guys on here are seasoned veterans of the sport and know what they're talking about so I would take their word on how to set yourself up for a long and happy riding life, all too often someone gets something a little too potent for their experience goes out and has a real bad day leading to them not wanting to get back on it never mind repairing damage that WILL inevitably happen during the learning curve, hence the need for a few hours in a good riding school first!
If you can get hold of a loan bike for a couple of weeks or months then that would be the way to go in my eyes letting you build experience without commiting to the expense just in case you don't end up loving it!
I'm looking forward to reading your first ride reports and seeing some pics up!

Hi Megan, the guys on here are seasoned veterans of the sport and know what they're talking about so I would take their word on how to set yourself up for a long and happy riding life, all too often someone gets something a little too potent for their experience goes out and has a real bad day leading to them not wanting to get back on it never mind repairing damage that WILL inevitably happen during the learning curve, hence the need for a few hours in a good riding school first!
If you can get hold of a loan bike for a couple of weeks or months then that would be the way to go in my eyes letting you build experience without commiting to the expense just in case you don't end up loving it!
I'm looking forward to reading your first ride reports and seeing some pics up!

Hi Redordead! You are very correct in all you say! I've emailed a few people inquiring about lessons and if I can loan/rent a bike. So far no responses but I'm not in a big rush. The longer I wait the more I save which means a more reliable ride and experience. Meanwhile I can focus on getting my nephew to a good point for now.
I will definitely share my first experience and post pics. Even if the pics are of me falling lol

good from the standpoint of it is affordable to PURCHASE. Finding one that doesnt need a lot of work will be tough. Finding one that you can start will be hard too. Finding one that you can start after it falls over hot will be about the same probability of you getting on a plane that is going to be hijacked. So since you haven't had anyone steer you away from them, I am giving your friends a D+ until I know more.

I am sure there are some good youtube etc vids, but so far I guess I missed those. Seems like having a first name of Gary is almost necessary for motocross school teachers. Gary Bailey and Gary Semics being the two I would be drawn to.

Funny you say Gary is necessary. I have a few tattoos and they were all done by a Chris. It seems like names sometimes coincide with careers! All we have around here that I've found is "Stupid Gary" which he is knowledgable but enjoys being a goon. There are a couple of people who have sites and do local. One of them being Tommy Hahn. I'm taking my time looking, saving and deciding.

What you say about the bike is true. If I do end up needing work done on one I have several mechanics I can call up. One knows how to rebuild 4strokes and a couple of guys have done, and still do, the 2stroke life.
I'm thinking about buying from a dealership. Probably used but still would think it would be more reliable. Not to mention it might help me build more created if they report payments. Making payments on a reliable machine doesn't seem like much of a bad idea. Any thoughts?

You guys are awesome and wise. Maybe a form of a Yoda, with a bike instead of lightsaber :-)

Tommy Hahn would be a good choice I bet. He has been successful by what he has learned more than what he is. I have no idea if Mercedes Gonzales still gives schools or travels to do them. I have seen no one that can take an unadvanced rider as far in a day as she can. Should be able to find her by googling her name. She used to give schools with Rick Johnson and both are very good teachers.

Tommy Hahn would be a good choice I bet. He has been successful by what he has learned more than what he is. I have no idea if Mercedes Gonzales still gives schools or travels to do them. I have seen no one that can take an unadvanced rider as far in a day as she can. Should be able to find her by googling her name. She used to give schools with Rick Johnson and both are very good teachers.
Thanks Ossagp. I will look into all of them :-D