Try Agian... New here!

250 or 450

Votes: 3 100.0%

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Hi there, My name is Megan. I live in Arlington TX and love moto! I'm trying to get into it my self (and my 6yr old nephew) and could use any suggestions, directions, ideas and so forth and so on.

I have about $2k saved for a bike, plus I've factored in the cost of equipment being around $400 for basic gear (boots and helmet are the most expensive!) I know I want a used bike as I will be crashing quite a bit for some time. I'm trying to decide between a 250 or 450. 2 stroke or 4 stroke. (figuring about an initial cost of 1200 for the kid)

A bit about me and my stats: I'm 33, weight a bit under 200 and I'm working off more, stand 5'8", have only been on a bike a couple times and still need to learn how to shift and the basics. I'm not afraid to get down and dirty and try new things once I get the basics under control. How long does that take?

My nephew is 6, average hight and such, crazy quick reflexes and just about a huge crazy adventurous adrenaline junkie

How much does it cost to actually maintain a bike and what are the most common parts to replace?

THANKS!!!
:-)

SRAD97750

Staff member
WELCOME.
I would suggest to you a 250 either 4T or 2T.
They will be of the correct height and useable power for learning.
Learning the basics is usually a 1-3 day thing, but getting good can take a lifetime. I'm still terrible!

Typical maintenance consists of
Daily Air filter cleaning
Daily Chain Lube
Daily Cleaning
Oil Change every ~10 Hours (~$20)
Top end every ~100 Hours (~$200)

-BIG DAN:thumb:

Welcome!!!
I recommend a ttr 230 or crf230. These are really low maintenance bikes that are fun to ride with plenty of room to grow and learn on. You can find a good used one for under 2k. These bikes will need gas and oil and not much else. Tires once a year depending on how hard you ride and regular air filter cleaning.

I'm not able to load pics right now but I will when the serve allows me.

Last edited:
Hey Megan, so the above replies are pretty much inline with my thoughts, I would just add as far as cost goes. Normal wear items are brake pads,tires,chain sprockets,grips, these things you will likely replace once a year at least, and of course engine parts such as piston rings and cylinder, these things you will go thru maybe every other year. You will be falling over and will be breaking control levers for the brakes and clutch, I'd say if you ride regularly and some what aggressively your going to spend about 350-500$ A year on the wear items and you'll need to budget some extra money for the stuff you'll break. And of course the regular maintenance that BIG DAN already covered. Also if you are going to do most or all of the maintenance and repairs yourself I recommend buying a manual(s)for the year make and model of the bikes you end up with. Owning and running bikes are not the cheapest hobby in the world, but they are fun, and likely will become a way of life for you and your family.......welcome to DBA

Hey Megan, so the above replies are pretty much inline with my thoughts, I would just add as far as cost goes. Normal wear items are brake pads,tires,chain sprockets,grips, these things you will likely replace once a year at least, and of course engine parts such as piston rings and cylinder, these things you will go thru maybe every other year. You will be falling over and will be breaking control levers for the brakes and clutch, I'd say if you ride regularly and some what aggressively your going to spend about 350-500$ A year on the wear items and you'll need to budget some extra money for the stuff you'll break. And of course the regular maintenance that BIG DAN already covered. Also if you are going to do most or all of the maintenance and repairs yourself I recommend buying a manual(s)for the year make and model of the bikes you end up with. Owning and running bikes are not the cheapest hobby in the world, but they are fun, and likely will become a way of life for you and your family.......welcome to DBA
Thanks for the follow up on all else that is said. I know it's not the cheapest sport out there but I figure with some planning and budgeting it's pretty good. Of course I'm also factoring in time for physical recovery!

Yup everything said above and medical bills and possible time off work :crash: so all I'm saying is be careful and please pick a four stroke 250 :ride:over two stroke or 450 :crash: for the first few months at least then go 2T :hyper:then 450 4T:rocker:
Then try a big 2T :hail:
:poke:

Yup everything said above and medical bills and possible time off work :crash: so all I'm saying is be careful and please pick a four stroke 250 :ride:over two stroke or 450 :crash: for the first few months at least then go 2T :hyper:then 450 4T:rocker:
Then try a big 2T :hail:
:poke:

I only let my kids ride 2stroke motocrossers from the time they first started learning until now. I figured if they can handle those bikes they can handle anything....kinda like

image.jpg

Welcome Megan (NoStop). First how'd you pick "NoStop"?
Second - all great stuff said here. You have the money now start shopping. Do you have a bike savvy person that can help you buy a used bike? I say that because you want to be able to find something that is in good condition with your well earn savings.

Other than that the above is good advice. Happy riding.

For what ever my .02 is worth after 50 years plus of riding and wrenching, my first impression is that deciding you are getting into racing before you are into riding is akin to putting the cart before the horse. trail bikes and riding schools would be the best way to start spending in my opinion, based on time spent. some tts, and xr/crf trail rigs will get you into the sport enough for you to gauge how far you want to go. It's all fun to watch and imagine yourself "flying flat" until you see the bones sticking out.

It is great sport, but I see so many skip the steps and have a bad result.

Welcome to the forum, no matter what you buy there is someone here that can save you money on maintenance and overhauls. someone will have fixed the exact same thing(s), and someone will have set up the exact same rig.

WELCOME.
I would suggest to you a 250 either 4T or 2T.
They will be of the correct height and useable power for learning.
Learning the basics is usually a 1-3 day thing, but getting good can take a lifetime. I'm still terrible!

Typical maintenance consists of
Daily Air filter cleaning
Daily Chain Lube
Daily Cleaning
Oil Change every ~10 Hours (~$20)
Top end every ~100 Hours (~$200)

-BIG DAN:thumb:

I only let my kids ride 2stroke motocrossers from the time they first started learning until now. I figured if they can handle those bikes they can handle anything....kinda like

View attachment 27393
Totally agree bud and my 3 that have ridden so far all started on 2 smokes but 50cc then 80's then a bigger bike, she's going shopping for a 250 for her first bike and as I said a couple of days ago the last YZ250 I had scared me a little bit when it went a bit skeewiff so not an ideal starter in my eyes, My old 86 DR200 4T was a perfect learner step up bike from my boys XR100 so just a easy does it approach for me bud!

View attachment 27393
That's what I was thinking. I'm a fast learner and like a challenge. I also don't want to get into bad habits only to have to change my technique again... I'm probably just going to get/borrow a 125 or something just to get the basics. They retain their value pretty well it looks like.

Welcome Megan (NoStop). First how'd you pick "NoStop"?
Second - all great stuff said here. You have the money now start shopping. Do you have a bike savvy person that can help you buy a used bike? I say that because you want to be able to find something that is in good condition with your well earn savings.

Other than that the above is good advice. Happy riding.
I do have someone who is good at bikes and has taught me a lot. He's busy a lot of the time though... I'm making more friends by taking my 6yr old nephew out for the first time this Sunday. He got on the bike, took off and never wanted to stop lol. He was in 3rd gear within an hour.

NoStop is from the first time I was on a dirt bike. Someone forgot to tell me a bit about the breaks and I ended up not stopping before I hit a brick wall lol! I was at least almost at a stop... almost. I popped a few wheelies on accident but kept the bike under me and didn't want to get off even after hitting some tree branches and everything else.
Lesson learned... BRAKES ARE IMPORTANT!!! LOL! my nephew is having problems with that too.

20151004_193535.jpg

I do have someone who is good at bikes and has taught me a lot. He's busy a lot of the time though... I'm making more friends by taking my 6yr old nephew out for the first time this Sunday. He got on the bike, took off and never wanted to stop lol. He was in 3rd gear within an hour.

NoStop is from the first time I was on a dirt bike. Someone forgot to tell me a bit about the breaks and I ended up not stopping before I hit a brick wall lol! I was at least almost at a stop... almost. I popped a few wheelies on accident but kept the bike under me and didn't want to get off even after hitting some tree branches and everything else.
Lesson learned... BRAKES ARE IMPORTANT!!! LOL! my nephew is having problems with that too.

View attachment 27434
Great Story..:thumb: And I always tell everybody brakes are overrated....:lol:

The part you said about not wanting to have to unlearn bad habits caught my eye: It runs with what I mentioned about spending your money on a school to learn to ride. If you rely on your friends to teach you, they will impart some of the good that they know, and some of the bad they dont even know is bad. I think once you get clutch use and starting the bike and getting it in and out of the truck or trailer down it is time for a school or at least some video from someone like Gary Semics.

Friends where racing is concerned can be invaluable, but unless they come with a real pedigree, you are going to do a lot of "unlearning" before either of you get too far. For instance if your friends have not done their best to steer a first time rider/mechanic away from a 2-3000 dollar 450 already then I think the best racing advice you should be taking with them is directions to tracks.

The most valuable learning tool(s) for riding I currently know is a camera. Look at training vids, and use them to video your own riding.

Last edited: