Truck takes forever to heat up

James

Staff member
Since it's been cold I've been noticing that it takes my truck a long time to heat up. Like 15 mins if it's just sitting and idling. Plus the temp gauge needle never goes past the quarter (first) mark. A buddy with pretty much the same truck said his goes up to the half mark. :noidea:

Well the check engine light came on the other day, so I had a buddy read it with his computer. And the code said something about the coolant temp being the same in the engine and radiator. Which led me to believe that the thermostat is stuck open. Does that sound right?

Since it's been cold I've been noticing that it takes my truck a long time to heat up. Like 15 mins if it's just sitting and idling. Plus the temp gauge needle never goes past the quarter (first) mark. A buddy with pretty much the same truck said his goes up to the half mark. :noidea:

Well the check engine light came on the other day, so I had a buddy read it with his computer. And the code said something about the coolant temp being the same in the engine and radiator. Which led me to believe that the thermostat is stuck open. Does that sound right?

Yep. Change the hoses while you're there.

Thermostats are notorious pieces of junk. The only good part is that they usually fail open like yours. I'm on my third in my truck. Replace it and you should be fine.

I only replace hoses if they are getting old or if they have issues. It is cheap insurance to replace them though.

James

Staff member
I'm going to try and replace the thermostat next week, not sure about the hoses. Those can be a bitch to change and I don't have the patience, unless of course they've started cracking. :thumb:

I'm going to try and replace the thermostat next week, not sure about the hoses. Those can be a bitch to change and I don't have the patience, unless of course they've started cracking. :thumb:
So then of course you will find the patience.:moon: Just sayin'.:banana:

:lol: Yup, but only if there's visible damage, screw preventive maintenance even though it'll probably come back to bite me. :bonk:

Yeah, and I wouldn't change the oil or filters in your bike either,, screw the preventive maintenance!! who needs it right. :P

Really, I wouldn't change the hoses either until I see the cracks starting to form.

James

Staff member
I GOT HEAT. :banana:

Finally got the thermostat replaced and now it runs a lot warmer. :rocker: The needle stays at the middle mark now and not the quarter one.

James

Staff member
bout time slacker, why didn't you wait until summer to fix it :P

You do it? or shop do it?
Hey I WAS going to do it over Christmas vacation, but being sick didn't really motivate me. :smirk:

Nope a buddy bailed me out, he swapped out the thermostat while I did the oil. :ride:

He also tested the coolant and it looks like it needs changing, :devil: good thing I don't live in Cali. :devil: :smirk: