tranny issue

so my bike has been good since i had it, broke in my new top end, rode it easy, etc. then yesterday i took it out in the morning for a ride before going to the track, and it was making a weird squealing noise sounding like it was coming from the clutch. The noise was only in neutral and once in gear it stopped, so i decided to still ride thinking it was just cold, BTW i have clean tranny oil, and full so thats not the problem, however after about 10 minutes of riding i was in first and as i went to shift into second, the tranny locked up and the bike cut off. The bike will roll for a couple feet, and still shifts into and out of each 5 gears, and me and my buddies think maybe a tooth chipped off from one of the gears and is fiddling around in there somewhere. opinions would be appreciated.

hmmm, could be and no. i can get one, its going to a shop to find out tomorrow.

Cha-ching!$!$!$ What kind of bike, and how much money are wanting to spend? If you're close to me, I'll do it for 1/2 of what the shop will. I'd like to hit some early retirement.:devil: Seriously, wrenching on bikes isn't that hard if you have a manual. They're pretty good with step, by step instructions. :thumb:

SRAD97750

Staff member
Taking it apart is free.
The damage you find inside may or may not be expensive.
Either way, I don't recommend riding it again until you know EXACTLY what happened.

Start with inspecting the clutch bearings. It's only one gasket to replace and pretty easy to see if there's something wrong.

With the "in gear, out of gear, sound" makes me think it's a trans bearing. Might be splitting cases. Still only $50 for bearings, and $50 for gaskets.
-BIG DAN:thumb:

yeah thanks guys, i was thinking hopefully a bearing too, because if it was a gear there would have been shavings in the oil and there was none.