To octane boost or not to octane boost that is the question.

I was reading my manual the other day and found that they want me to use 95 octane in my bike so I was at the moto shop the other day and I got some octane booster.Do any of ou use it or have used it in the past. Do you recomend it ?Is there a down side that im not seeing?

Most if not all octane boosters don't add up to what they say. A wole can will only raise the RON a half of percent. Your better off mixing race gas or AV gas LL 110 if you really even need a higher RON. Being you live I Vegas you might have 93 oct at the pump. Here CA we only get 91oct and it works fine even on higher compression bikes up to 13.5.1.
Just use a good quality premium pump gas.

Most if not all octane boosters don't add up to what they say. A wole can will only raise the RON a half of percent. Your better off mixing race gas or AV gas LL 110 if you really even need a higher RON. Being you live I Vegas you might have 93 oct at the pump. Here CA we only get 91oct and it works fine even on higher compression bikes up to 13.5.1.
Just use a good quality premium pump gas.

I was reading the can and wasn't shure if i should put the hole can in or not.What is the RON? We have 91 here in vegas abd i guess that will be ok with 91 i dont want to spend a shitloead on gas

The octane level in the manual is 95, but here in the USA, our 91 octane, is equivalant to the world rating of 95. You won't need higher unless you've had motor work with higher compression.

The octane level in the manual is 95, but here in the USA, our 91 octane, is equivalant to the world rating of 95. You won't need higher unless you've had motor work with higher compression.

yea in my KTM manual it shows what octane you need for USA and it says 91

In the US we use the average of motor (MON) and research (RON) octane numbers. In general the RON runs 8 or so points higher then the MON so what is 91 on the pump is usually 94 or 95 RON. Most octanes you read in a manual are RON. That's why they say 95, yet work fine with the 91 you can buy here.

You can do some DIY octane booster with some Xylene from Home Depot. This is likely the main component of octane booster anyhow. It is about 117 octane and it doesn't take much to add a point. It is higher density than gasoline so it slightly richens the mix, but it's not too significant unless you start using double digit percentages.

Back in the day when I thought I was fast and my KX500 motors were built by FMF, I would use VP-14 and do a 50/50 with 91 pump fuel. During the summer months and riding in 100+ temps I would run the VP straight. I did do some sampling of Octane boosters, but was not happy with the results.

Today, I am much slower and my scooter does just fine on the 91 pump fuel..:thumb: