Tires?

How far gone do you let your tires get before you replace them?
Fronts?
Rears?

I have about 300 miles on the stock rear tire and I notice the rocks have been eating on it pretty well. I think I'm good for another 300-400 miles of riding on the rear if they continue to wear at the same rate. The front looks good (Nipples are just getting wore off) the rear on the other hand is looking used. :thumb:

James

Staff member
Everyone is different, depends on your budget and riding style.

Here are some old D756's

0a85fcde.jpg

And as soon as I start riding again these will be gone, mostly because the thread pattern blows.

2bf14eca.jpg

Depends on the size of the bike fund. I tend to go on condition rather than miles. Different terrains can have vastly different wear rates. My closest riding has lots of planted sharp rocks. That place eats tires. If you steer with the throttle rears have a very short life there.

On my last tire change I went with a Pirelli Scorpion pro front and a MT43. They have something like 1000 miles on them. The rear may have another 1000. The front is wasted. Most of the side knobs are still on the tire, but are almost torn through. I've never been in a situation where I replaced a front before the rear. Strange that is. I usually go through two rears per front, but not with the MT43.

Depends on the size of the bike fund. I tend to go on condition rather than miles. Different terrains can have vastly different wear rates. My closest riding has lots of planted sharp rocks. That place eats tires. If you steer with the throttle rears have a very short life there.

On my last tire change I went with a Pirelli Scorpion pro front and a MT43. They have something like 1000 miles on them. The rear may have another 1000. The front is wasted. Most of the side knobs are still on the tire, but are almost torn through. I've never been in a situation where I replaced a front before the rear. Strange that is. I usually go through two rears per front, but not with the MT43.

As for the center knobs, all depends on traction...If you feel you're losing traction where you once were able to climb, grip etc. now you not...then you need to change it out.

How are the side knobs on the rear? With all the rocks you travel over I would think they're a little torn up!

I change tires a lot, I have quite a stock pile of tires,( I work at a local Yamaha shop for parts) but mostly it depends what the weather has been like if it's been dry and no rain for a while I'll throw a used Pirelli MxTra on, if it's been raining and wet out I'll throw the either a good used MS32 on or if I'm riding with some of the A guys I ride with I'll throw on a new MS32, for the front I run a michelin M12 all the time and change it out as soon as I see decent wear

Mostly used by racers to make special tread patterns however I can see using it on worn tires making the knobbies square again only, they'd be smaller....:thumb:...

Yeah but if a guy could get double out of a tire it would be worth it. Shoot for $60 it may be worth a try. Like I said earlier as soon as I loose the edges I usually toss them. But this would give me the edge back.

Yeah but if a guy could get double out of a tire it would be worth it. Shoot for $60 it may be worth a try. Like I said earlier as soon as I loose the edges I usually toss them. But this would give me the edge back.

Exactly...any added use of any bke part is a plus!

I have never used a knobby knife, but one time before i had ever heard of it I heated up a razor blade and used that (essentially the same idea) it wasn't my tire, but the guy i did it for said his tire worked like new

On my last tire change I went with a Pirelli Scorpion pro front :thumb::thumb::thumb: I've never been in a situation where I replaced a front before the rear. Strange that is. I usually go through two rears per front, but not with the MT43.:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Great front and lets say the 43 has some limitations, they do what the intend to do for some bikes.
I do have life in it, just is not cohesive with my style.

Everyone is different, depends on your budget and riding style.

Here are some old D756's

0a85fcde.jpg

And as soon as I start riding again these will be gone, mostly because the thread pattern blows.

2bf14eca.jpg

You can bring your old tires out here in November my kid will get a few more rides out of those.:prof:

The side knobs on my front tire are shot, the tire has about 950 miles on it. The back was changed to the trials tire. It currently has about 500 miles on it and looks like it will last another 1000. In the past I would change a rear about every 500 miles and a front every 1000 miles.