Throwback Thursdays

I remember reading and seeing the pictures of the CR and KX500's. In the dunes with those big ass tires on the front. When I was a kid. Not only did they look silly they made the bike look larger than it was. I'm sure it was nice to have an engine powerful enough to float that tire on top of the sand. I'm sure Rezrider and Turtleshifter are old enough to be in one of those pictures at the time I was a kid. :lol: :smirk: :P
Just so you know I am only joking. It seems that I need to announce that when I joke around. Because when you age you get offended easily. :lol: :lol: :smirk: :thumb:

I remember reading and seeing the pictures of the CR and KX500's. In the dunes with those big ass tires on the front. When I was a kid. Not only did they look silly they made the bike look larger than it was. I'm sure it was nice to have an engine powerful enough to float that tire on top of the sand. I'm sure Rezrider and Turtleshifter are old enough to be in one of those pictures at the time I was a kid. :lol: :smirk: :P
Just so you know I am only joking. It seems that I need to announce that when I joke around. Because when you age you get offended easily. :lol: :lol: :smirk: :thumb:
You are actually correct about the magazine. I used to have a copy of it. Mark Harms, the owner of Sand Tires Unlimited, is the one that had the bike "created". He also is the mfg. of the tire. He took a front tractor tire and grooved it down, leaving the side rails for traction. One of the magazines did a write-up about it and he was in it. He and his friends made 3-4 bikes. I bought one of the bikes from his friend. I have met Mark a few times out at his shop in Temecula. I had him make me a 2nd tire as I had worn out the first tire that was on the bike. We rode together a few time out in Glamis. The looks we would get when 4 of these bikes would pull up was pretty funny. That and going down the sand drags.

Didn't he use a front end off three wheelers when making it?
Shit no:picard:! Where is Big Dan:ban: You would be restricted to running the forks then as well. These guy's didn't screw around. Laeger Racing mfg. the triples and the 6" extended swingarm, Mitchell (Douglas) wheels mfg. the front rim and spacer so the front brake and rotor would work (Mitchell being the father of my current Dr......."connections, it's always connections":smirk: ). There were a few other mfg.'s involved as well. It's funny, I ended up selling the bike to my Dr. who's dad helped with the build. He actually has the magazine.

Shit no:picard:! Where is Big Dan:ban: You would be restricted to running the forks then as well. These guy's didn't screw around. Laeger Racing mfg. the triples and the 6" extended swingarm, Mitchell (Douglas) wheels mfg. the front rim and spacer so the front brake and rotor would work (Mitchell being the father of my current Dr......."connections, it's always connections":smirk: ). There were a few other mfg.'s involved as well. It's funny, I ended up selling the bike to my Dr. who's dad helped with the build. He actually has the magazine.
I thought that was what I read. I could have swore they said that the tree's were from the trikes. Not the forks. They had to be a blast to ride. I bet that front end was as heavy as a Four stroke. :smirk: opps joke Bus I meant bus. :lol:

Last edited:
But that wouldn't matter with the raw power of a 500cc two-stroke now would it:P Riding in the sand dunes is totally different than riding in any other type of terrain. The tire floated on top as opposed to knifing into the sand like a regular bike would. I could grab a hand full of front brake on the steepest razor back and the bike would still just float down the dune without digging in. Even with the 6" extended swingarm I could wheelie that beast at will. Harder to keep it balanced so I couldn't ride the wheelie as long as a regular bike.

It was defiantley unique and fun to ride in the dunes. I could also go on slower rides with the family and still not feel I needed to be riding it at higher speeds as it would just float like I said. I stopped riding my Banshee and would ride this msot of the time.:thumb:

But that wouldn't matter with the raw power of a 500cc two-stroke now would it:P Riding in the sand dunes is totally different than riding in any other type of terrain. The tire floated on top as opposed to knifing into the sand like a regular bike would. I could grab a hand full of front brake on the steepest razor back and the bike would still just float down the dune without digging in. Even with the 6" extended swingarm I could wheelie that beast at will. Harder to keep it balanced so I couldn't ride the wheelie as long as a regular bike.

It was defiantley unique and fun to ride in the dunes. I could also go on slower rides with the family and still not feel I needed to be riding it at higher speeds as it would just float like I said. I stopped riding my Banshee and would ride this msot of the time.:thumb:
Would you buy or make one again? If so would you ride it?