The Wells,Thanks giving 2010.

Nice pics! Brings back some mammeries!

We used to ride the canal roads and areas just S of the Sea back in the day before the BLM Nazis closed it down and bulldozed berms into what was an exxxxxxxxcellent place to camp, ride, shoot, hunt, and get away with various "gray area" activities in the early 90's. (around gate 32?)

Gotta say though...the Salton Sea is just a nasty, stanky, cooch! I can't believe people still boat. ski, and fish in that cesspool! I was there when they had a big fish kill (my guess was a mass suicide) and there were dead fish you could smell a mile away, at least!

I still have a retired oldster friend that lives there. A very cool old couple (They have a son many might know here, and I'm sure you might have ridden with) that we pay homage too when we go in the desert! They let us park our camper in their yard for an evening on our way to points beyond!

Oldsters and me and my buddy at the Salton Sea 2 years ago....

Anyway, great pics and thanks!:thumb:

Attachments

• air levelers005.jpg
    air levelers005.jpg
    103.9 KB · Views: 48
  • air levelers007.jpg
    air levelers007.jpg
    105.2 KB · Views: 48
  • air levelers006.jpg
    air levelers006.jpg
    102.2 KB · Views: 49
Thanks Buck. The sea had some of the best fishing I've ever experianced and I came from long range sportfishing boats and have done some serious big game fishing. I remember the first time my older friends took me fishing at the Sea and I was dry heaving when I stepped out of the truck.It doesn't smell out on the water. I've since fished the sea many many times up to about 5 years ago when the Orange mouth Corvina seemed to of dissapered one year. The year before there was plenty of 3-5 pound corvina and the larger fish were full of eggs. They were doing fine but just seemed to of dissapered the next season. It had some of the best 20# line and plastic fishing I've ever seen for land locked White seabass in the 15 to 18# range. Tow the boat around. We used to also catch 6-8" white croaker and use them for bait on 40# line and 6/0 hooks.Phucking kick in the ass. It was scary when your on a school of bait fish trying to stock your live well when the big Corvina come thru and tear up your bait rigs. I've traversed 30 miles one way on the sea to were the fish were biting at. Back when I fished the Sea every weekend I was roofing and could stand being on the water all day in 110 heat,Probably can't do it anymore..The Corvina only bite in the Summer. When the water is so dark Brown it looks purple in the prop wash. Thats when the water is high in oxygen and the fish bite. When the water is clean green is when there is a algae bloom and the fish don't bite for nothing.This is when the large die offs happen (not because of pollution)and helped with over population. The place is loaded with Talipa and that was the majority of the die offs.

Salton Sea Trivia:
Back in 1930's or sometime around there They built huge levies to hold water to irrigate the Imperial Valley. In the 50's the levies broke and since the Sea is below sea level that's were all the water ended up. The ground there had alot of Salt content hence the Salton sea. It soon became one of the largest Ski and recreation water sheds in the states.It was very easy to ski or learn how cuz the bouiancy from the salt content. It was not unheard of to wait in line 2-3hrs to put your boat in or get it out. There was Motels, Houses,Stores built right on the water front. Sometime in that era Talapia where put in the Canals for weed control and found themselves in the Sea as a brackish water fish and the food supply started. Sometime in the late 50's they went to San Felipe Mexico and netted up Orangemouth Corvina,Sargo(pearch) and White Croaker and imported them to the sea. At this time even the the salt content was high,it was not as High as it is today. Something like 10% more then the Oceans.
With the Alamo and New rivers running in there from mexico and the rain we used to get the Sea kept rising and Growing to the point where it burried all the resorts. Shortly after that people started paying Attention to pollutents And farming pesticides flowing into the Sea from Mexico and the Imperial Valley. With the sea flooding the resorts and High contaminates the demise of the recreational mecca started.

It has been along time since water sports at the sea have happened and All my time fishing there I have never seen any water contact. The fishing continued to be great up into a few years ago. The level of the Sea seems to be dropping with the droughts we have and could be effecting the corvina fishing. The Talipa continue to thrive. Last time through there I stopped to check out my old haunts and boat launces. They are all mostly out of water or the channels are dry. I would imagine Salton city and the State Park might be the only place to get a boat in.
I ran in to a Fish and Game biologist one time fishing out there and asked him about the pollutents and eating fish. He stated the Levels of contaminates in the fish are with in edible levels but high in salinty. Like any fish any where, you are only supposed to eat in small quanities. Deep fried and beer battered corvina are very good and I never died but I'm done having Kids so what the heck.:lol:

What faces the Sea is unkown but worst yet if it is not corrected It will be worst then it is now. A dry lake bed will mean very toxic wind driven sand storms and is a very large bird habitat.

Salton Sea: 50 miles long. 25 miles wide. 50ft at the deepest spot. Used to be a Navy base and bombing range on it. When the Wind storms hit the Sea it can create 8ft waves because it is so shallow. It can be very dangerous and has taken it's share of boats. I've been broke down out there on a windy day and the Sherrif would'nt even come get me. A guy at the trailer park did. When I got in soaking wet and shivering on a 100* day the Sherrif said I'm lucky to tell about it cuz many aren't.

Long live the Sea.

Wow killer RR I've never been out there but would like to check it out the next time i'm out there< hopefully this season :ride::ride::ride::ride: