Synthetic Oil

O.K. I went to pick up some motor oil for my DRZ, $4 and change per quart. Then I went to grab some synthetic for my sons KTM, $18! :shocked: I normally change my oil every second ride. But if I have to change the oil on the KTM every second ride a better get a second job. One of the guys at the store said that synthetic doen't break down as easy and I wouldn't have to change it as often. Does anyone know if there is any truth to that?

What kind of synthetic is it? $18 a quart is a lot. I run Amsoil synthetic in my bike and it's usually about $11 a quart. $18 a quart is ridiculous.

What kind of synthetic is it? $18 a quart is a lot. I run Amsoil synthetic in my bike and it's usually about $11 a quart. $18 a quart is ridiculous.

Must have been the Motorex oil. $18 a liter is not to out of line for that oil.

It's not ridiculous, it's insane.

James

Staff member
Yeah $18 a quart is nuts. I'm currently running BelRay's Semi-Synthetic 4-Stroke Racing Motor Oil and if I remember right it's around $10 a quart.

In theory the synthetic is supposed to last longer but I still change it every 4ish hours.

O.K. I went to pick up some motor oil for my DRZ, $4 and change per quart. Then I went to grab some synthetic for my sons KTM, $18! :shocked: I normally change my oil every second ride. But if I have to change the oil on the KTM every second ride a better get a second job. One of the guys at the store said that synthetic doen't break down as easy and I wouldn't have to change it as often. Does anyone know if there is any truth to that?

Welcome to the world of Orange :smirk:

Yeah $18 a quart is nuts. I'm currently running BelRay's Semi-Synthetic 4-Stroke Racing Motor Oil and if I remember right it's around $10 a quart.

In theory the synthetic is supposed to last longer but I still change it every 4ish hours.
I try to change mine every 5 hours but I think most of the time I end up doing it way too soon. I need a hour meter. Are you guys running hour meters?

Did you check the manuel for how often to change the oil? My bike is every 15-20 hours.

x2 on the amsoil:thumb:100% american made..Sign up for the authorized preferred customer and the oil is like 8-9 bucks. I buy by the gallon and change every other ride:ride:

Amsoil is the way to go.... Since I ride a 2-stroke, i run their 100% synthetic pre mix at less than $10 a quart.... I just use cheap ATF type F in the tranny though, as its $3 a quart instead of $10 for the amsoil....

if you are going to change every other ride then no need to use synth. If you want to run it longer or want that little extra possible protection in case you over heat or loose oil, then use synth. I now use Rotella T synth in my diesel truck, bikes, car, lawn mower, etc. It is $20 a gal at Walmart, Pep boys, etc. No need to buy MC specific oil. Just make sure what ever you use does NOT have any friction modifiers.

James

Staff member
I don't run an hour meter. I keep a log of each ride. I log hours and miles.
As weird as it my sound I use both. I have a hour meter on the bike then I log every ride in the logbook by date, hours, and location. Plus I also add everything I damaged/fixed.