Suzuki SP250 After Market Carburetor

Hey everyone, this is my first post! I just got a SP250 dual sport from my father. The bike is in almost perfect condition with only a little over 1,000 original miles. The only problem is, the carburetor is not working.

I followed some guides and cleaned it out as best as I can. It still wasnt working so I brought it into a shop. The mechanic was terrible and has not been returning my calls except to tell me that he could not fix it and has to replace it. It has been three months now. I tried to order a new carb myself online but I cant seem to find the OEM part.

My question, which may seem silly to some but I am just now getting into bikes, is there another carb I can use besides the OEM model? Because that one seems to be impossible to find these days.

If anyone has any advise or know of where I can find a carburetor, that would be awesome. I really want to start restoring this bike but wont start if I will never be able to get it running.

Thanks in advance guys.

SRAD97750

Staff member
Is this the bike in question?
Suzuki SP250 83  1.jpg

If so, this bike runs a Mikuni VM28 or equivalent.
2wdyh60.jpg

They are brand new on ebay for $100.

-BIG DAN:thumb:

Yes sir that is the bike! That carb does look different from the one that came off of it, but I will check it out and give it a whirl. I just want to get this bike up and running. :D

Thank you for the help. I will update this thread once I am able to find one and see about installing it.

Get the old carb back from your mechanic and where are you from as there are usually some difference between US models and stuff overseas.
Good luck

Yea, I need to go up there. I am just afraid he is going to hold it for ransom and ask for some fee. Even though he did not do anything at all besides tell me he cant fix it. I am in Texas, I believe it is a SP250Z to be more precise. I am not sure though. I can upload a picture of the carb as well if I go get it back.

Is that a legitimate thing though? The carb cant be fixed? I think he said the floats were bad and the assembly is back ordered. So maybe that is the only reason he cant fix it.

Yea, I need to go up there. I am just afraid he is going to hold it for ransom and ask for some fee. Even though he did not do anything at all besides tell me he cant fix it. I am in Texas, I believe it is a SP250Z to be more precise. I am not sure though. I can upload a picture of the carb as well if I go get it back.

Is that a legitimate thing though? The carb cant be fixed? I think he said the floats were bad and the assembly is back ordered. So maybe that is the only reason he cant fix it.

There are parts available for almost anything. Mikuni carbs have been around forever and I'm sure there are parts readily available for that. Try
Www.sudco.com. They have tons of carb parts as well as brand new carb assemblies and as srad pointed out readily available carbs on ebay

I've ran into the same problem and already purchased the Mikuni VM28 as recommended. I'm waiting for a few more parts to come in but would like to know in the mean time whether or not the jetting is the same. I'm hoping I can fire it up immediately, does anybody know from experience and did you get your bike running well?

I've ran into the same problem and already purchased the Mikuni VM28 as recommended. I'm waiting for a few more parts to come in but would like to know in the mean time whether or not the jetting is the same. I'm hoping I can fire it up immediately, does anybody know from experience and did you get your bike running well?

Temperature and altitude are the big variables, if it's 65 so and at sea level where you are then you may be ok, only way to know is bolt it on and see how she runs.

Just got my hands on an 82 or 83 sp250 and doing a bit of work on her. It came with no carb or battery, so I bought a new battery, and vm28-49 mikuni carburetor. I have a new airfilter and just changed the oil today. Gas tank has a lot of rust in it, so I am treating that with vinegar to try and get it down to clean steel then will fill it with gas some seafoam and two cycle oil. The issue I am having currently is the mikuni carb i bought does not seem to fit. Not sure if I am missing something or I got the wrong size vm-28? It also did not come with a throttle assembly, so is it best to buy one separate? This is my first motorcycle and doing this kind of rebuild. THanks!

Just got my hands on an 82 or 83 sp250 and doing a bit of work on her. It came with no carb or battery, so I bought a new battery, and vm28-49 mikuni carburetor. I have a new airfilter and just changed the oil today. Gas tank has a lot of rust in it, so I am treating that with vinegar to try and get it down to clean steel then will fill it with gas some seafoam and two cycle oil. The issue I am having currently is the mikuni carb i bought does not seem to fit. Not sure if I am missing something or I got the wrong size vm-28? It also did not come with a throttle assembly, so is it best to buy one separate? This is my first motorcycle and doing this kind of rebuild. THanks!

Welcome!
Yes you need the right size barrels to go with that bike.
You'll have to research the oempart numbers and match them to the correct aftermarket part. It takes a little time but if you need it you need it.