Suspension while hauling.

Ok....
Why do we put our bikes on stands? to remove anywieght from the wheels. The more a spring stays in the "closed" or "tight" position the weaker the spring becomes... thats why you shouldnt keep your bike ratched down in the bed of your truck.

The blown seal thing is just an old wives tale from what I can tell especially since I have never busted a seal hauling a bike.
so bikes with kick stands are wearing out their springs :noidea:

James

Staff member
Ok....
Why do we put our bikes on stands? to remove anywieght from the wheels. The more a spring stays in the "closed" or "tight" position the weaker the spring becomes... thats why you shouldnt keep your bike ratched down in the bed of your truck.

The blown seal thing is just an old wives tale from what I can tell especially since I have never busted a seal hauling a bike.
:thumb: So I guess it's just the springs that can get damaged. :noidea:

I do not understand why people crank their bikes down that hard anyways. If you are hitting bumps in the road hard enough to bottom your bike out in the back of the truck while no one is it, then you have some super soft suspension on your truck and/or bike.

James

Staff member
I do not understand why people crank their bikes down that hard anyways. If you are hitting bumps in the road hard enough to bottom your bike out in the back of the truck while no one is it, then you have some super soft suspension on your truck and/or bike.
:thumb: Very true.

I use the High Roller tie downs, they have built-in soft hooks/loops and a carabiner style hook for the bottom. If those come off you have major issues. :bonk:

http://www.motosport.com/dirtbike/HIGH-ROLLER-TIEDOWNS

highrollertiedowns.jpg

do it so you can drift the truck on the way to the staging area.

It really depends on where I'm driving. On the pavement and easy roads I don't crank on it too much. Hours on mountain roads, a little tighter. A long way off the pavement and it gets cranked down tighter.

Yeah... I have to crank mine down pretty tight.. It's fell once already.. And put a dent in my bedside about 1500 dollars deep....Soo.. I keep them pretty tight now.. The road here are crazy bad... And the road to the coal mine i work at isnt any better at all lol...

Yes and yes if it's for an extended time.

Try putting a block of wood (or get the real tool Click Here) in between your tire and front fender, before tightening it down.

Oh boy, here we go again.... the only thing those are good for is keeping your front end from bouncing and coming undone when you're hauling. Your front end goes thru MUCH MORE abuse when riding than while sitting in your truck. :doh:.....:bonk:

No and no.
There is no time when the pressure is greater on the seals than when you are riding.
If you compress your forks 50%, you are barley compressing the air inside anyway, so the 'pressure' argument is wrong.
If your seals leak, they are probably dirty, or the wiper is dirty, holding in dirt under the seals.
Adding pressure for a long period of time allows the slow leak to show itself.

2. The compression of the air space is gradual. Reducing the air space will be felt by the rider from the middle of the fork's stroke to the point of bottoming. The corollary is that when you take oil out of your forks, you make them softer from the midstroke on. It has little effect on the first four inches of travel. If the pressure argument were valid, oil would squirt out of your leaky seals the moment you compressed your forks.

WINNER ... James, pay the man!

James

Staff member
Oh boy, here we go again.... the only thing those are good for is keeping your front end from bouncing and coming undone when you're hauling.
They allow you to tighten your forks (to keep them from bouncing) and not put the pressure on your springs/forks. :thumb:
Your front end goes thru MUCH MORE abuse when riding than while sitting in your truck. :doh:.....:bonk:
Your springs aren't compressed for [insert travel time], while you're riding.

I never really looked at how the front suspension works, I guess there wouldn't really be any pressure after the oil is equalized. However there will still be pressure on the spring and all springs suffer from spring fatigue. :noidea:

Yeah you don't want any pressure on your forks what so ever for a very long period of time. I get sketched leaving my bike in for 7 hours, just the time i load it in the morning till after school practice. It will def blow out your seals, as it moved the life along of my old ones faster than normal. Same as letting air fill up your forks and not bleeding them.

James

Staff member
Same as letting air fill up your forks and not bleeding them.
:thinking: That just gave me an idea.... :idea:

Lets say you have a 100 cubic inch (air tight) container that's filled to 50 psi. If you compress this space to 75 cubic inches, wouldn't the psi rise? :noidea: So by compressing your forks aren't you also raising the psi as there's less volume?