Super moto or ?

Okay Sun has me drooling over her Super moto pictures. So I wanna talk about the DR400 If I run it as a Enduro will it be way to high geared for much off road? (Can I get on a mild trail and be okay?) Next what is the pros and cons to going super moto vers enduro? Next do you guys think I'm better off getting a WR450 and having the light kit put on it or getting a DR400? I live out of town and I can be in the desert in pretty much 10 minutes. I'm kicking around the idea of getting a bike that I can go ride some dirt roads and trails then hit the highway and come home.

So lets talk about a good bike for this. Also am I over looking any? No 650's they are just to big for me.

I do that with my XR600, but it's not in supermoto trim. It's a dirt bike all the way. I'm currently running a knobby on the front and a MT43 on the rear. Both are DOT rated and work good in the dirt. It does OK on the pavement, but I don't push it and I try to minimize the pavement miles. In general supermoto means 100% street tires. While you can still go on a dirt road those kind of tires are just not made for trails. From your description it sounds to me that you need a dual sport. The WR is a better trail bike than the DR. The factory street legal DR is a heavy pig that weighs as much as my XR. If I remember correctly you live in one of the few states that still allows conversions, right?

It's really cool to be able to open the garage and ride. No loading and unloading the truck and I spend $15 on gas instead of $50.

Cleonard is right. I think a dual sport would be good for you if your able to roll out form your property. SuperMoto does hit dirt in the SM format off and on dirt track, street track, but is not meant for rugged terrain. I do sometimes like to challenge myself on mine hitting dirt obstacles for fun, but lately I have been busting parts doing that so Im not anymore. Besides, I finally have a dirt bike again to do that with. You can always get a set of SM wheels and have a little bit of both worlds. SM is so much fun in the tight turns. But the DRZ/SM is not a bike you take on long rides like you may a dual sport. It is a 400, I would want it least a 450. I do some longer rides but typically in the canyons and hills near my house that all connect with lots of twisties:banana: It is great riding near my house. I load it up sometimes to travel to other areas to ride as well. I do wish I had a Hyper Motard or KTM SMC690 then I wouldnt have to load it...ahhh well....a girl can dream right?

Yes we can put a plate on the WR. I was thinking the WR450 may be a better choice then the DR just because of the weight. Though it would cost me putting all the lights and such on it. Gearing is there much difference between a DR and a WR?

Cleonard is right. I think a dual sport would be good for you if your able to roll out form your property. SuperMoto does hit dirt in the SM format off and on dirt track, street track, but is not meant for rugged terrain. I do sometimes like to challenge myself on mine hitting dirt obstacles for fun, but lately I have been busting parts doing that so Im not anymore. Besides, I finally have a dirt bike again to do that with. You can always get a set of SM wheels and have a little bit of both worlds. SM is so much fun in the tight turns. But the DRZ/SM is not a bike you take on long rides like you may a dual sport. It is a 400, I would want it least a 450. I do some longer rides but typically in the canyons and hills near my house that all connect with lots of twisties:banana: It is great riding near my house. I load it up sometimes to travel to other areas to ride as well. I do wish I had a Hyper Motard or KTM SMC690 then I wouldnt have to load it...ahhh well....a girl can dream right?

Why don't you like it on long rides? I guess I should ask what is your idea of a long ride. One ride I'm thinking from the house is 10 miles of pavement then 45 miles of dirt road or trail, then hit the pavement again for about 80 miles. That would be a day ride.

I think a long ride is over 100 miles. The seat is sort of uncomfortable on the DRZ and typically unless it is in tight twisties Im going to want to ride it faster as in over 65MPH. Therefore I'd want to re-gear. But I'd rather have a more powerful bike anyways and keep the DRZ/SM for the tight twisties. Really it is about what best suites you. A WR would be sweet if you can plate it. This way you could do it all! Ride out your door, race it, or put some SM wheels on it:thumb:

I dont know much about the DR. or mechanics for that matter. I just know what feels good :smirk: And I know what I like. I've rode the WR and liked it a lot.

I think a long ride is over 100 miles. The seat is sort of uncomfortable on the DRZ and typically unless it is in tight twisties Im going to want to ride it faster as in over 65MPH. Therefore I'd want to re-gear. But I'd rather have a more powerful bike anyways and keep the DRZ/SM for the tight twisties. Really it is about what best suites you. A WR would be sweet if you can plate it. This way you could do it all! Ride out your door, race it, or put some SM wheels on it:thumb:

I dont know much about the DR. or mechanics for that matter. I just know what feels good :smirk: And I know what I like. I've rode the WR and liked it a lot.

A WR450 would look nice next to my WR250.:smirk: I could make the 250 strickly a trail bike and have the 450 as the all around play bike.:smirk:

A WR450 would look nice next to my WR250.:smirk: I could make the 250 strickly a trail bike and have the 450 as the all around play bike.:smirk:
If you purchase a WR450 and plate it, you would never ride the 250 again. You have been hinting for sometime about more power and the 450 would give you that. If you are running 10 miles pavement, then 45 miles dirt and 80 miles back on pavement, I would run a slightly taller gearing than stock to give you a better pavement cruising speed for the ride back without suffering too much down low for off-road duties. I owned a DRZ400S which was a DS and did some extensive work to it so it would breathe and be a little lighter. It was a great bike, but was not worthy enough for me to hammer it off-road like I wanted. Here is a pic before I added knobs. If I could convert a WR or my YZ450 and plate it here in Cali, then we would be talking a sweet ride.
DSC00308.jpg

If you purchase a WR450 and plate it, you would never ride the 250 again. You have been hinting for sometime about more power and the 450 would give you that. If you are running 10 miles pavement, then 45 miles dirt and 80 miles back on pavement, I would run a slightly taller gearing than stock to give you a better pavement cruising speed for the ride back without suffering too much down low for off-road duties. I owned a DRZ400S which was a DS and did some extensive work to it so it would breathe and be a little lighter. It was a great bike, but was not worthy enough for me to hammer it off-road like I wanted. Here is a pic before I added knobs. If I could convert a WR or my YZ450 and plate it here in Cali, then we would be talking a sweet ride.
DSC00308.jpg

Nice. So it sounds like I need to figure out how to add a WR450 to the Garage.:smirk:

You, lucky man can plate any bike! Find the one that’s best for your needs and make us all jealous. If I could plate any bike I would be like you though, feel it out and see what is out there and what others think. In the long run, it is still your decision to pick the bike that fits your needs. Additional thoughts are, if you don’t do ALL of the mechanical work on your bike, do you know a mechanic and what is his primary bike he works on. Other than that you are “Wide open”. Wheels and or just street tires can work if tarmac is all you hit for a weekend, easy swap. Or like I said....Both. ha, ha

I like the way you think.....:thumb:

DSC00308.jpg

That is one of the best Susukis I've ever seen:shocked::hail:

You are so darn lucky to be able to plate a WR450. I agree, I think you wont ride the 250 much if you got a 450. Heck, Im thinking I may never go back to a 250 because I love the 450 power so much. But if you are a smaller person and cant lift that 450 off you, :prof:be careful riding alone! That is my problem now, telling myself not to take off alone. I cant always get the bike off me or off the ground for that matter. I would love to ride out where you live it looks awesome!