Stuck/Stripped Oil Drain Bolt.

Yup :cry: one of the problems with older bikes...stuff can be stripped and rusted and such without it even being your fault. So my oil drain bolt is completely stripped now. It was stripped beyond usefulness when I got the bike (last time I changed the oil was when I pulled the clutch cover off so I drained the oil out that way) and after a few futile efforts, a lot of cursing, and a busted finger last night, I finally called it a night and said fuck it. So now I have to find a safe way (to the bike of course, screw safety for me as long as I can get the work done on my bike right? :lol: ) to extract the 7mm head allen bolt from my case...what I was thinking maybe was to get a flathead drill bit that is just a bit too big to fit, hammer it in a bit to get it nice and stuck, and then get a socket with a hex head that will fit on the drill bit and voila. Any less-ghetto ideas? :noidea:

Yup :cry: one of the problems with older bikes...stuff can be stripped and rusted and such without it even being your fault. So my oil drain bolt is completely stripped now. It was stripped beyond usefulness when I got the bike (last time I changed the oil was when I pulled the clutch cover off so I drained the oil out that way) and after a few futile efforts, a lot of cursing, and a busted finger last night, I finally called it a night and said fuck it. So now I have to find a safe way (to the bike of course, screw safety for me as long as I can get the work done on my bike right? :lol: ) to extract the 7mm head allen bolt from my case...what I was thinking maybe was to get a flathead drill bit that is just a bit too big to fit, hammer it in a bit to get it nice and stuck, and then get a socket with a hex head that will fit on the drill bit and voila. Any less-ghetto ideas? :noidea:

It sounds like it would work to me but Im not expert on that kind of stuff. I feel for you....I just discovered what my leaking oil problem really is, I have a hole in my case and in a bad, bad place:cry::banghead: Im sorry about your finger. Damn,:pout:you didnt even get a ride in to hurt that finger. Best wishes on your "issue." Im sure you'll get er all figured out and fixed. Someone here should know what to do, unfortunately it is not me. Im just someone who can relate to your frustration right now! HAPPY MONDAY!

or you could get a pair of vice grips, clamp them on that biatch and see if you can get it to turn with those. I had to do this on a could of occasions. I actually forgot you had the 7mm allen key bolts holding your clutch cover on... allen bolts are nice, but once you strip them, good luck getting them out

try this, get a hack saw or grinder and cut a slot through the top of the bolt, then get a flat head screw driver drill bit and turn it out. Makw damn sure that if the reciving threads to the screw in the crank case are rusted, then try to put in a thread insert so it dosent leak

There are special tools called E-Z Outs that work in the same way that your drill bit idea does. The E-Z Outs are pretty cheap and should easily be found at any tool store, maybe even Sears. They have a reverse twist to them so that they bite into the bolt as it is turned to be removed. You can try using the drill bit, but drill steel is rather brittle and will likely break.
If the head of the stripped bolt is exposed , then you could try grinding flats on the outside to get a wrench on it. You can get more torque with a wrench than by grinding a slot and using a screwdriver. Good luck :thumb:

It sounds like it would work to me but Im not expert on that kind of stuff. I feel for you....I just discovered what my leaking oil problem really is, I have a hole in my case and in a bad, bad place:cry::banghead: Im sorry about your finger. Damn,:pout:you didnt even get a ride in to hurt that finger. Best wishes on your "issue." Im sure you'll get er all figured out and fixed. Someone here should know what to do, unfortunately it is not me. Im just someone who can relate to your frustration right now! HAPPY MONDAY!

Sounds like a job for J-B Weld. At least it's worth a shot. :prof:

if you do cut a slit for a standard screwdriver, use an impact to get it off. Better option is to attempt to cut it into a hex head shape, get a socket on it and then use the impact.

The easiest and least ghetto way is to have someone weld a nut on the end that you can grab with the proper sized socket, and again beat the thing out with a impact.

Ok, there are three drain bolts if its a 4st, back left rear is oil drain, bottom is short screen and left side is long screen. Dont worry about getting it out for the short term and ride it. It does need to come out tho. The proper way to remove the bolt if you dont know is to first hit it with a socket and hammer with a moderate strike to relieve the tension in the threads. Then unscrew. I have not had one stick, YET. I have replaced one with the 13mm bolt head and it is probly a good upgrade to get away from the allen head. Getting it out can be any of the suggestions. Just be careful to not jack up the threads. I would first try the next larger allen in SAE threads or metric in a SOCKET allen, drive it in with a hammer. If that doesnt do it then cut, drill, whatever works.

Ok, there are three drain bolts if its a 4st, back left rear is oil drain, bottom is short screen and left side is long screen. Dont worry about getting it out for the short term and ride it. It does need to come out tho. The proper way to remove the bolt if you dont know is to first hit it with a socket and hammer with a moderate strike to relieve the tension in the threads. Then unscrew. I have not had one stick, YET. I have replaced one with the 13mm bolt head and it is probly a good upgrade to get away from the allen head. Getting it out can be any of the suggestions. Just be careful to not jack up the threads. I would first try the next larger allen in SAE threads or metric in a SOCKET allen, drive it in with a hammer. If that doesnt do it then cut, drill, whatever works.

It's a smoker, and it's the back left bolt, right behind the shifter where I have to remove the lever to get to it :picard: I'll try to get it done either today or tomorrow, I'm getting a new hex head drain bolt like you mentioned anyways so all I really need to do is get this stupid bolt out without destroying the threads. Simple enough.

It's a smoker, and it's the back left bolt, right behind the shifter where I have to remove the lever to get to it :picard: I'll try to get it done either today or tomorrow, I'm getting a new hex head drain bolt like you mentioned anyways so all I really need to do is get this stupid bolt out without destroying the threads. Simple enough.

Well what is the status?

IMG00673-20100907-1507.jpg

It was a HUGE bitch to do...totally stripped, completely weak almost soft bolt, rusted to the washer which was rusted to the case :picard:
I tried the flathead idea at first, hammered in a flathead socket that was a bit wider than the 7mm allen head, but it just didn't have enough leverage. Tried a Torx, but it was too hard to hammer in. So I tried hammering in the flathead two more times along the corners of the allen head hex to make a Torx head. Then took a bigger Torx socket and hammered that into the head. Took a while, but when I finally put all the pressure on the bolt that I could, it FINALLY broke loose! :banana: The bolt head was SO destroyed, this picture doesn't even do it justice :lol:

IMG00674-20100907-1508.jpg

So I'm done with the Allen head! Checked the part numbers just to make sure, and the drain bolt is the same part number from '89 to 2011, so I ordered one of these babies http://ktmcyclehutt.com/ktm-parts/k...44&category=Engine-Parts&fitment=bigbikes-all :banana: Should be here before the weekend so I can go riding. My sprocket should be here too, then the only thing I need to worry about is the fork seal.