Story

So my son Chris was given a 93 Jetta(his first car) from his uncle that sat in the garage for about 5 years. It got parked in running condition. It took us most of the day a month ago to get it to start. New battery,two fuel pumps,starter, and a relay switch and cleaning out the injectors.It's good looking little car,lowered,6 cylinder,standard shift,4 door,power windows(all working),sun roof,nice seats,straight but needs paint as it's black and the hot spots faded to grey(hood,fender,,etc) He put a lot of work into it cleaning it up and so.So we go get it off non op at the dmv and get a temperary sticker(89.00) to drive it for a couple of months to see if it's worth getting a tag. It has to be registered or put back on non op by Dec 2.At this point we have about 350.00 into the car.

So he's been driving it insured of course. So in the month and a half he's been driving it we've noticed it needs a right front CV joint,no biggie I can do that and it isn't that bad yet. It smokes a bit and was empty on oil the other day when it sounded loud and I told him to check it, but it's a Volkswagon and they run on no oil :smirk: and it's a gas pig.

So we go to smog it yesterday and it didn't pass.:cry:He was seriously bummed.:thinking: I could tell. I think I told him before that if it doesn't pass I don't have a bunch of money to put into the car.It doesn't smell like it is burning oil too bad but the oil went some wear unless the clutch plates were that dry cuz it's not on the driveway. So the tech says high emmissions,smoking,timming off, possible cat converter and I paid him 50.00:foul: oh well. I kinda thought I shoulda brought the car in after driving it on the freeway and nice and hot.It doesn't smoke when it's hot as much.
The lady at the desk gave him a goverement 500.00 dollar repair assist or give your car to the Gov for a 1000.00 forms. Who knows how much of this is really true as I haven't read it yet.

Long story short. I wonder with a little more cash can I get this thing to pass with some tunning and by the right smog tech as I have to pay another 89.00 to Dmv by Dec 2 or non OP it. Or if possible take the 1000.00 and see if we can find a better car off of craigs list or something.
The Kid is bummed.:lol:

TWS,
I worked for VWoA in the late 70 - 85 before they split off from Porsche. Air cooled made them who they are. I don't think you can do better than the 1000 offer from DMV. You have to take your expenditures into account but you can find some real nice cars for a good price. I just picked up a 91 Camry wagon (90,000 miles on it) for my daughter. She killed a Volvo 240 wagon by ramming it into things learning how to drive. :cry: :foul: However, the Camry will not take the abuse that the Volvo did. :thinking: Toyotas run for ever if you can finger a good one. No kidding.
I got an idea. Look for a Toyota truck 89-94 EFI 22R (4cyl) 2X or 4X. I have a 91 4X4 extra cab in storage that was totaled in a front end right side. Bent frame but all the other running parts are perfect. I have been looking for a donor truck that has a blown motor to swap it. If you find one I will let you have the running gear for CHEAP, or if you know of one steer me there. You can literally take a toyota out of the junk yard and it will smog. :thumb:

TWS,
I worked for VWoA in the late 70 - 85 before they split off from Porsche. Air cooled made them who they are. I don't think you can do better than the 1000 offer from DMV. You have to take your expenditures into account but you can find some real nice cars for a good price. I just picked up a 91 Camry wagon (90,000 miles on it) for my daughter. She killed a Volvo 240 wagon by ramming it into things learning how to drive. :cry: :foul: However, the Camry will not take the abuse that the Volvo did. :thinking: Toyotas run for ever if you can finger a good one. No kidding.
I got an idea. Look for a Toyota truck 89-94 EFI 22R (4cyl) 2X or 4X. I have a 91 4X4 extra cab in storage that was totaled in a front end right side. Bent frame but all the other running parts are perfect. I have been looking for a donor truck that has a blown motor to swap it. If you find one I will let you have the running gear for CHEAP, or if you know of one steer me there. You can literally take a toyota out of the junk yard and it will smog. :thumb:
I have an 89 toyota 22r carb in my little truck, runs amazing at 175k...

James

Staff member
I'm not in your shoes so I don't know all the details, but from what you've said I'd take the $1,000 and start looking through craigslist. BTW what's this "smog" thing you guys are talking about? Oh right I forgot you live in Commiefronia. :P

It's not a Truck. It's not a trailer.It's not a toy hauler.

IT's A Volkswagon Jetta.:prof: and clearly off topic.:lol: I can't get shit in the right forum I suppose.:P Mis placed my Penis slide thread too. dammit! :banana:

James

Staff member
It's not a Truck. It's not a trailer.It's not a toy hauler.

IT's A Volkswagon Jetta.:prof: and clearly off topic.:lol: I can't get shit in the right forum I suppose.:P Mis placed my Penis slide thread too. dammit! :banana:
:lol: I guess "trucks" should say vehicles. :noidea: Members said they wanted a section to discuss vehicles and related stuff, this is it. I'll go change the description to make it less confusing. :thumb:

I would also really consider the $1000. Not much sense in putting $$$ into a car that is basically worth very little. The $500 is not for you. It is for a "gold shield" certified shop. That means that the $500 does not go very far. Read the paperwork closely as I'm not sure that you qualify for that $1000 retirement offer. I thought that it had to be currently registered and not being brought back from non-op. Not sure about that at all though.

Another thing to consider is safety. A driver airbag became mandatory in 95 and passenger airbags in 98. Depending on the exact vehicle they may have been standard equipment earlier than those dates.

On a different topic -- Every vehicle is a truck on some level. My first car was a 72 Capri. When I moved to college I removed the passenger seat and crammed an unbelievable amount of stuff in that otherwise small car.

:lol: I guess "trucks" should say vehicles. :noidea: Members said they wanted a section to discuss vehicles and related stuff, this is it. I'll go change the description to make it less confusing. :thumb:

I was just razzing ya Jamesie ! :P

I would also really consider the $1000. Not much sense in putting $$$ into a car that is basically worth very little. The $500 is not for you. It is for a "gold shield" certified shop. That means that the $500 does not go very far. Read the paperwork closely as I'm not sure that you qualify for that $1000 retirement offer. I thought that it had to be currently registered and not being brought back from non-op. Not sure about that at all though.

Another thing to consider is safety. A driver airbag became mandatory in 95 and passenger airbags in 98. Depending on the exact vehicle they may have been standard equipment earlier than those dates.

On a different topic -- Every vehicle is a truck on some level. My first car was a 72 Capri. When I moved to college I removed the passenger seat and crammed an unbelievable amount of stuff in that otherwise small car.

My first car was a opal hatch back it held lots of stuff. :thumb:

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but I think it has to have been registered for the last year. I had a guy that worked for me that bought a Jeep that was Non Op, and when he couldn't get it to pass, he tried the surrender check. The DMV said no on the check because it hadn't been registered in over a year.