Sticking Throttle

Bike is a KTM 2 stroke. A few weeks ago i dropped my bike in a creek and sucked in quite a bit of water. Drained it out and bike was good to go. Next ride the throttle kept sticking open when i was riding so i decided to replace the throttle cable since it was getting a little frayed.

Today i rode for the first time with the new cable; which had been lubed good, and it still sticks open. I took it back to camp sprayed carb cleaner through the carb while the bike ran thinking it might just be dirty but it still stuck after this. I'm thinking it must be the throttle spring but that is just a guess. Any other ideas?

Is it a 2013 model?

The 2013 KTM 2T's got recalled because of some reason in the throttle assembly which made them stick.

Bike is a 2003. I've cleaned the throttle tube and greased it, removed carb and cleaned and lubed the throttle cable. Putting it back together now, hopefully it's fixed.

Could the cause of it sticking be thewear on the slide? There's no marks or anything on the carb needle.image.jpg

It could be caused from the wear, but i've seen some pretty worn ones and not cause a problem.

Make sure the slide and carb is clean. If the throttle clean is clean and operates smooth and the cable is clean/smooth operating. I'd say its the slide then.

Check the way it operates before you put it in the carb.And then check it after you put it in the carb.

well the other thing now after you replaced the cable is the routing and maybe hanging up due to that. Did you get the longer Honda CR250 length cable or stock KTM length?

I got the stock length ktm cable. It is fine and i made sure i routed it with the least amount of kinks and so that it comes straight out of the carb. Got everything cleaned and lubed and the carb was definately dirty so im hoping its fixed.

Also, when the throttle did stick the throttle tube was all the way closed. This would rule out the throttle tube being the issue. It would have to be a dirty carb, carb slide or throttle spring i'm thinking.

Was the throttle closing by itsselft? Are you sure it was even a throttle control problem? If the throttle was closing on its own, You possible just have a idle problem, Cause by an air leak somewhere making the bike idle or rev high.

The throttle tube would be all the way closed when it happened. I would shut the bike off and twisted the throttle and it would close by itself but i couldnt hear the carb slide opening and closing like normal.

Also if it was an air leak it would happen all the time. This only happens once in a while, most common while in first gear or going over rough terrain,

Ride it tonight and it still does it. I took the air filter off and when it does it the carb slide is at its closed position. Does this mean its an air leak? Where would it come from? It only started happening after I dumped it in a creek. Need some help here guys anyone got any ideas?

While its running (Have someone handy to hit the kill switch)... Spray the head and base gasket with carb cleaner. And all around the carb and intake boots. And the reed plate. And all about the center crankcase gasket. If you spray somewhere and the bike goes crazy, you have a leak there.

If the engine was hot and it injested cold water you might have cracked head or something.

SRAD97750

Staff member
...a KTM 2 stroke. A few weeks ago i dropped my bike in a creek... ...Next ride the throttle kept sticking open... ...and it still sticks open....

The throttle tube would be all the way closed when it happened. I would shut the bike off and twisted the throttle and it would close by itself but i couldnt hear the carb slide opening and closing like normal.

I am trying to figure out what the problem is.
Does it rev when you aren't using the throttle?
Does it stay revving even when you shut the throttle?
Does the throttle tube stick in place or just the engine doesn't respond to throttle tube movements?
:noidea: -BIG DAN

Yes it will rev with the throttle closed and stay revving.
The engine will rev higher when I twist the throttle but will stay revved high with the tube shut.
The slide is closed when this happens.
That would mean that the needle is moving independently of the slide or there is a major air leak on the engine side of the carb. But with an air leak wouldn't there be a fluctuating idle and the bike would run like crap?