Starlink

SRAD97750

Staff member
Just got Starlink in our area, had a deposit for 11 months.
So far exceeding any expectations I had...

We have no internet in the area, and the one cell tower is so limited, our cell hotspots all crash to a halt after noon everyday.
We were hoping for some quality internet to arrive, and so far Starlink has delivered.

Pretty slick equipment and only one cord to connect. The quality of the cords and mounts is beyond exceptional. Aerospace grade or above.

What are you other rural folks doing?

starlink-dish-and-router.jpg

-BIG DAN:thumb:

Just got Starlink in our area, had a deposit for 11 months.
So far exceeding any expectations I had...

We have no internet in the area, and the one cell tower is so limited, our cell hotspots all crash to a halt after noon everyday.
We were hoping for some quality internet to arrive, and so far Starlink has delivered.

Pretty slick equipment and only one cord to connect. The quality of the cords and mounts is beyond exceptional. Aerospace grade or above.

What are you other rural folks doing?

View attachment 33793

Have not heard of this. What does this do for you?

SRAD97750

Staff member
When I lived in Apple Valley, we had fiber optic internet, which is very common in cities.
$50/month and 400mbps. This is faster than you could ever use. I could pirate full length movies in less than 5 minutes.

Now we live in the rural desert. The internet options include data capped satellite and cell phone hotspot.

Unlimited hotspot for the house was $40/month at best 25 mbps.
Unfortunately, the local cell towers out here are unable to cope with the current internet load. We're only a town of 2800, but everyone is forced to cell service hotspots. This crashes all phone service in the area every afternoon.
Satellite is a data capped service at $50-200/month with 'up to 25mbps' and limited to about 1mbps when capped.

Starlink is $99/month averaging 160mbps for rural areas with zero downtime and no caps. I am getting better than that, but I have an 'excellent' view of the sky.

So ultimately, some people would be severely disappointed with Starlink for the speed/price. But some of us can't believe it's become a reality.