Stand up or sit down?

:thumb: It really depends on the jump, but majority of them it's standing (of some sort) from start to finish.

James thats exactly what i mean, for 9/10 jumps you're almost ALWAYS standing up. I can never sit down i never have control over the bike like that. What i prefer to do is stand up and guide the bike with my knees tightened on the front fenders by the radiators. I remember one time i decided to sit down on one of our trail jumps... Flew forwards in mid air, landed on the rear shock and flipped over the bars. Thank god i still had the XR that time, it never quits running!

James

Staff member
James thats exactly what i mean, for 9/10 jumps you're almost ALWAYS standing up. I can never sit down i never have control over the bike like that. What i prefer to do is stand up and guide the bike with my knees tightened on the front fenders by the radiators. I remember one time i decided to sit down on one of our trail jumps... Flew forwards in mid air, landed on the rear shock and flipped over the bars. Thank god i still had the XR that time, it never quits running!
:thinking: I'm assuming that you meant the front shrouds and not fender? :smirk:

Yeah I can't think of any jump where my butt is touching the seat in the air. Seat bouncing obviously requires you to hit the seat, but that's before you're actually in the air.

I don't think I mentioned it earlier but a great way to conserve energy as far as the transition between standing and sitting or sitting and standing is concerned, is to use the rise and fall of trail contour to get into these positions.

By doing this you are allowing gravity to work with you instead of fighting it by using your muscle strength.

This means that when you hit a pot hole or a elevation drop in the trail just allow the bike to drop beneath you so that you are now standing. Then when you want to sit wait for a spot that rises and allow the bike to come back up to you.

You would be surprised how well this technique works when you need to conserve in order to do 100+ miles days of tight woods single track.

Give it a try and let me know what you think. It works great for me.

have you guys everheard of seat bumping, theres a tight private sx track by my house and thats what everybody does their, like you sit untill after you leave the lip then you just stand up and bring the bike forward, it looks bitchin, once i get my 250 ill get a helmet cam of the place, their are some big doubles there, you gotta be on ur game to hit them

James

Staff member
have you guys everheard of seat bumping, theres a tight private sx track by my house and thats what everybody does their, like you sit untill after you leave the lip then you just stand up and bring the bike forward, it looks bitchin, once i get my 250 ill get a helmet cam of the place, their are some big doubles there, you gotta be on ur game to hit them
Seat bouncing is a fairly advanced technique, make sure to start small. TWMX had this as one of their Tuesday Tips, nice read. :thumb:

http://motocross.transworld.net/1000079851/features/tuesday-tip-seat-bouncing/