Stand up or sit down?

Honestly I think it's a constant stand/sit process all depending on the conditions...I surely wouldn't want to be sitting IF I were to hit a bigger sized rock then again I wouldn't want to stand going thru a rock garden. I find it easier to manouver the bike while sitting and being able to dab your foot if needed......that's my story and I'm sticking to it! :prof:

It's about balance and aerobic capacity. Standing allow you to be a human suspension and to go faster over rough terrain. However, it's tough and takes a lot more energy than sitting. In slow going technical stuff sitting gives a lower center of gravity. That can help you negotiate the trail. I stand as much as I can, but eventually I have to sit and rest.

One other factor is the seats that are on current bikes. They resemble a 2x4 with a vinyl cover. Not exactly made for sitting. By comparison my XR is an overstuffed couch.

Well put cleonard. I do both.:thumb:

For super long enduros I try to sit whenever possible or just raise my butt off the seat a few inches, but not at the risk of using more energy having the bike beat me up through the rough. Like stated, it depends when and where to determine sitting vs standing.

Really, it depends on the terrain. if im crossing logs, going over big rocks, or hitting whoops on the track i'll always stand up. For mudding, slow water crossings, tight turns, hillclimbs, and cruising through the trails i'll sit down. but when i jump i ALWAYS stand up, which im sure everybody with an IQ higher than a shovel does...unless they wanna break their visor :smirk:

Really, it depends on the terrain. if im crossing logs, going over big rocks, or hitting whoops on the track i'll always stand up. For mudding, slow water crossings, tight turns, hillclimbs, and cruising through the trails i'll sit down. but when i jump i ALWAYS stand up, which im sure everybody with an IQ higher than a shovel does...unless they wanna break their visor :smirk:
I sit off of jumps a lot on the track. Helps get over jumps right out of corners. However if you do it wrong you are very correct about the broken visor and possible a neck or some other incredibly important bone! :lol:

James

Staff member
but when i jump i ALWAYS stand up, which im sure everybody with an IQ higher than a shovel does...unless they wanna break their visor :smirk:

I sit off of jumps a lot on the track. Helps get over jumps right out of corners.
:thumb: It really depends on the jump, but majority of them it's standing (of some sort) from start to finish.

Not sure if have ever heard of the term seat bounce a Jump?:noidea:

I sit off of jumps a lot on the track. Helps get over jumps right out of corners. However if you do it wrong you are very correct about the broken visor and possible a neck or some other incredibly important bone! :lol:

Looks like Ryno has:thumb:

not that i would do it... I tried once on accident and supermaned onto the bars...:lol:

there is a couple jumps at my local track that you have to do the seat hop thing. you sit leaving the lip and it kinda bumps you up and off the seat to a standing position. It has to do with teh preload of your suspension. I had a ex pro out there showing me that little trick on a little jump that is close to a berm i could never get over till i learned that. It feels weird as hell at first but makes sense once you get it.

there is a couple jumps at my local track that you have to do the seat hop thing. you sit leaving the lip and it kinda bumps you up and off the seat to a standing position. It has to do with teh preload of your suspension. I had a ex pro out there showing me that little trick on a little jump that is close to a berm i could never get over till i learned that. It feels weird as hell at first but makes sense once you get it.

Makse sense...cuz when you stand up quickly I can see the suspension would load up........very instructional Trav...:prof:...:ride: Carry on! :thumb: