Spoke lacing ?

Does anyone know how to lace a rim for spokes? Is there only one way for each rim, or is it all generally the same? I am trying to re-lace a 2003 KX250 2 stroke front and rear set of rims. All the spokes are essentially seized up and will not move, so Im going to have to cut them off I believe.... Wondering if it is wise to take all the spokes off at the same time or should I take one off and replace it, take off the next and replace it, etc. Does anyone have experience with this? I saw some other threads about truing rims and spoke info but nothing much about RE-LACING the entire rim. the pattern looks a bit complicated haha

I took really good pictures before i did mine...And it was still a beast to do...
so would you recommend spending the extra squish to have someone else lace it? I mean damn, it takes me like two hours to change a tire then I end up pinching the tube every mudder tuckin time:picard: I said the hell with it from now on I spend $10 dollars and let the shop I buy the tires from do it now.

so would you recommend spending the extra squish to have someone else lace it? I mean damn, it takes me like two hours to change a tire then I end up pinching the tube every mudder tuckin time:picard: I said the hell with it from now on I spend $10 dollars and let the shop I buy the tires from do it now.
Depends on what they charge.... Its not really that bad, once you get the hang of it. I also picked up a trueing stand from harbor freight for cheap.

Depends on what they charge.... Its not really that bad, once you get the hang of it. I also picked up a trueing stand from harbor freight for cheap.
I have to re-lace both of my rims. I have just been waiting until old man winter sits in to do it. I have always been one that will tackle anything at least once but if it make more sense to have it done by a professional then I am all up for that. If it takes me two months and I pull what little hair I have out and it still isn't right I would rather throw a bone to someone and let them do it.

Last edited:
I have to re-lace both of my rims. I have just been waiting until old man winter sits in to do it. I have always been one that will tackle anything at least once but if it make more sense to have it done by a professional then I am all up for that. If it takes me two months and I pull what little hair I have out and it still isn't right I would rather throw a bone to someone and let them do it.

Words to live by.

Is that truing stand from harbor freight a good product? I was also thinking about purchasing that for myself, I want to weld one up but I don't believe I will be able to get it perfectly square. And if I cant square the stand I cant get the wheel trued, probably just worth the squish to get the stand right?

Also waiting for old man winter, and he is here. What type spokes are you going with? Anyone have experience with different spoke brands, I have read in a previous thread to go with stainless steel for sure. Should I spend the extra squish and get Excel spokes?? Or do you guys have a better idea?

Truing a wheel has nothing to do with the stand. You just need something that holds the axle.
The forks or swing arm are the best truing stand ever. -BIG DAN:thumb:
I totally agree with you, but its winter time here and my garage has no heat nor do I have a space heater..... Id like to do it in the comfort of my warm house with On Any Sunday playing, classic.

Also waiting for old man winter, and he is here. What type spokes are you going with? Anyone have experience with different spoke brands, I have read in a previous thread to go with stainless steel for sure. Should I spend the extra squish and get Excel spokes?? Or do you guys have a better idea?
Yes went with stainless. Moose special order on the back because I am changing to an 18" rim. Of course I can't by stock rm spokes at 18". I went with pro wheels stock on the front.